1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the absolute the most snow you can plow with a atv?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by flyingdutch16, Aug 4, 2011.

1. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 Junior Member

Hey guys,

Im thinking about buying an atv and put a plow it for this upcoming winter.
    Thing is I had a plow for my craftsman tractor and the most it could plow was 3inches tops. Pretty much useless.

So I would like to know how many inches you plow with an atv. Dont know what kind of blade ill be getting any tips on that maybe to? Im completely new to this so bare with me.

Thanks guys!
  2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Mine will handle 6" of fluffy stuff or 4" of wet stuff before it has problems. When I load up the racks with sand tubes, it will push just about anything.

A lot of it will depend on the weight of the machine, traction and power. Mine isn't the best in any of those departments.
  3. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Add some good weight to the rear and you would be amazed at how much an atv can push. Ive pushed more than 14" of heavy stuff in 4 low.
  4. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I have a Polaris 450 and i have never had any problems pushing snow. The most i have had to plow was 2 feet and around 3 feet at the end of driveway. Yes it will take much longer when there is lost of snow but it will get done. The worst was when it would only snow 1 or 2 inches and then ice over top then you have a big problem getting the plow to get under it. The next worst part is have to be out in the cold (the reason I am selling my quad and buying a truck)
  5. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 Junior Member

Thanks guys this really helped with the dam craftsman i could only push 3-4 inches max. This will definitely help with buying an atv.

And as for being out in the cold, ive got a good ski jacket and some good pants. Plus im still young(16) so wont be no problem for me!
  6. OCPW

OCPW Junior Member

My 2WD honda foreman has pushed 15 inches.
  7. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

:rolleyes::laughing::laughing: funny.
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

With my 2004 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 with a 60" regular blade I can push 4" wet and 6" fluffy. If the blade was taller I think I push more when the snow is fluffy. When the snow is wet you can't get enough traction eaven with chains.
  9. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

lots of varibles to this, Type of snow wet vs fluff,
    size of ATV 400cc to 800cc weight of ATV also. How big a blade 48" to 60" what type of surface you plowing on Grass/Gravel/Cement/Pavment? Tire chains help alot for traction as well as extra weight.

chains can be hard on Cement/Pavment and leave marks if you due alot of spinning.

upper limits of the setup's I run is around 12" that amount of snow is not fun fast or easy to move but I have got it done. though once I get past 8" these day's I go and get the blower out. till that break's down and I'm back to the ATV and Plow.
  10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

They can move a surprising amount of snow. Ours has been great in all but the drifts. The drifts in some areas can get packed so hard they're tough to move even with a blower. An ATV is a giant step above a garden tractor in the snow.
  11. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

You can plow as much as the machine can push(I know that sounds sarcastic but it's not), and you will find out what your machine/blade combo can move at any given time. Quite a bit of it is also technique and throttle control depending on what conditions you have at the moment as well as what kind of surface you are on. The only way to know is get on the machine and do it. I am changing how I move snow constantly and learning what works and does not work with what ever machine I am running whether it's our loader with a 12ft pusher at work, my John Deere 312 with a blower or blade, or my four wheeler with a 48in blade.
  12. jim331656

jim331656 Member
    from NJ

I'm right across the river in south jersey and didn't have a single problem with any of the snow we got last year. I have a 420 4wd honda rancher with swamp lite tires and a 50" moose plow. The biggest storm I had some traction issues making the first pass down the driveway but once I had that clear it was cake.
  13. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

I've got a 350 4x4 Honda. I was pushing 12" on a regular basis this past winter. It was mostly on cement, but it did outstanding on the gravel also. I'm only pushing a 52" blade though.
  14. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

On my Brute with 26" Big horns aired down (4.5 psi in the front, 3-3.5psi in the rear) on pavement in 4WD its almost unstoppable as long as you control the throttle.

Heavy wet stuff sucks (have done 6" of it and had to fight a little), fluffy stuff is easy as can be, 12+ is a joke and tends to run over the top of the blade (have the rubber flap now because of it).

The hardest part is getting the first path when there is heavy stuff of a layer of ice on top, after that its cake.

I'm about 230lbs, the quad is prolly 700lbs so that close to 1000lbs of traction (i do put some weight on the back rack and it help a bit.
  15. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I also have my tires set a 6-7psi and there is a Kolpin mini pick up bed on the back and it's a tank pushing snow. If you are going to be backing out into a road or working around one I would suggest putting a LED beacon or stobe on it. I have had people almost hit me a couple times working on my neighbors drive way and waiting to back into traffic.

Our SnowBear ATV plow can handle quite a bit..It's rear hitch mounted to reduce stress on the ATV frame.. We use it to dig ourselves out here in Canada.. check out the video

Happy Plowing!
  17. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like it works pretty good, but why on earth is he pushing all the snow towards the building! :dizzy:

BTW, your website is down... :rolleyes:
  18. Cyber36

Cyber36 Junior Member

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsee pop???
  19. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Junior Member

I can push a lot with my Foreman 450. Just be sure it's a 4x4 obviously. Really I can even push uphill with this thing. You'll want decent tires. For me the only limiting factor is really the height of the plow. I could probably plow a foot if I needed to, but it would be a huge mess since it would be falling over the top of the plow and would take forever. I try to get out and hit it a couple times during a storm, but definitely not every 3". More like every 4-6" if you want to make it easy on yourself.
  20. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

I was thinking about getting a quad but for the 7-8 k they go for new, a small skidloader seems a better way to go. of course you dont have a fun toy the rest of the year like a quad.