1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is pea stones?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 2002F150, Nov 8, 2015.

1. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Hi guy's

Just wondering I hit a contract ( Church) and instead of salt they would like to have pea stones. I have no clue what that is. I try searching the site but no luck. Is it the little gravel? Here in Canada (Gatineau,Qc) where am I likely to get that ?

Thank you.

tymusic

2. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Here in the states that's exactly what that means, the fine stones. I wouldn't touch that account with your truck, jmo.

3. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

I have a F-250 now with a 8ft blade. I am good to go :)

4. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I would guess that's what we call "pickled" mix. Its 7mm crushed gravel with about 8% salt.

5. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Okie now the hard part finding a place that sells that here :(

6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Pea Stone is a washed stone similar but smaller than a #1 with no crush in it. Most gravel pits could help you out with that maybe. You know your going to be pushing that stone next time you plow. Is this blacktop you will have to clean up in the spring. I heard of people using cinders in the colder regions not pea gravel. I don't even no if it's available anymore accept decorative this will be to expensive. Not many applications for it. Cinders I know you can get.

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

This sounds like cinders without the salt.

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Most guys like in Alaska where its below zero where they use some kind of aggregate have sweepers at there yard for clean up in the spring.

9. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Counties around here use grit. Its basically pea gravel and salt brine.

10. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

So what you guy's are sayign is i need to look for cinder? There are a few pits here that sell soil and that kind of stuff. I am assuming they should have some ?

Someone said that pea salt is expansive or the cinder ?

Would anyone know what it's called in french ? :)

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you stayed at a Holiday Inn too.

You better get them to clarify what they want. Pea stone parking lots don't really freeze either.

12. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

she said that they want pea stone and not salt.

what are you talking about with the Holiday inn??

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Maybe on the last day I ever work, I'll fill the big spreader with pea stone and go searching for all those self centered folks - garbage trucks, news paper delivery drivers, tailgaters, the dope heads, little Susie that goes out and gets stuck in the blizzard, did I mention tailgaters??

Seriously - I'd ask around locally and see what they really want, to me pea stone is pea stone but I'd think what they mean by pea stone is something else.

14. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Ill look into it thanks

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

A mix of 75% brick sand to 25% road salt. Provides deicing as well as traction. Sold by the cubic yard.

16. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

ty, any chance i can say this in french. as all companies here are french.. Ill give it a go Monday morning with the name pickled Sand and see if they know what am talking about.

17. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I would say someone at the church is confused. This pickled sand is not even close to pea gravel. There are #1 stone or similar with the picture provided with crush.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  18. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Confirm what the church is requesting. You still have not stated if this lot is asphalt, Concrete, Stone of some sort? It makes a difference.

19. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

and here I thought it was stone that was peed on by dogs,cats, and squirrels. A little coyote piss if the temperature was going below zero

Around here it is pea gravel. It is one size larger than fines, and is rounded without edges. It is easier to spread than #1 stone because it doesn't bind up in the spreader but coming out the spreader it could break glass if close to cars and windows. I wouldn't spread it on asphalt or pavers since it would be like spreading marbles or ball bearings. It works good on dirt and gravel roads and is cheaper than cinders. Cinders are hard to find as more coal plants are converting to gas and oil now. Any stone supplier would be happy to supply you. legume' stonez is not the French words

20. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

the parking lots are asphalt

I think a found a supplier here in gatineau and it's not what the pictures shows.. thanks for the reply anyone i found what i needed.