1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is more Durable Automatic or Manual

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ein999, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ein999

ein999 Member

What is more Durable Automatic or Manual?

For plowing snow is a manual more durable. I prefer an automatic transmission. I am am buying used. Im thinking maybe even a toyota to start with. Thank you for your respones.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i think auto.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Negative. A manual trans is much more durable than an auto, although I don't know why you'd want to plow with one.

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Manual will be more durable, but pulling the hours most do plowing with a manual would definatley make muscles hurt that you didnt even know you had lol..... I had a manual car and could not imagine plowing with it. (and not because it's a car lol)

5. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

A clutch however is much more prone to burning up when plowing then a fluid couple.
    all really depends on the driver and how they plow

I would never by choice plow anything but roads with a standard

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

my thought was clutchwear/linkage ice up. a stick is for 4 wheelin.

7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 99 Chev 2500HD with extended and double frame. 6,5 and manual. Never went through a clutch start off in super low only the slave cylinder in trans wore out had to replace that. Last year bought a 08 Dodge 3/4 Ton HD 6 speed manual, get the right driver on it some one with a big rig licence no problems never had no complaint from the drivers. Vee plow on it 900lbs we put 900lbs of weight in the back of box.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, depends- stock from the factory probably standard and changing a clutch is easier and cheaper than rebuilding an auto, but all things being equal an auto is and always will be stronger. Dragsters are autos, most competition vehicles are autos- most fairly heavily modified from street stock condition, but auto none the less.

A Chrysler a727 will handle over 1000HP when properly built up and modified.
    Stock from the dealer it's pretty much the same either way.

I prefer sticks, but plow with an auto because that's what the truck I bought had.

9. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

The two gears I tell the guy's are 1st and R in the Autos. I would figure the same in a manual trans. Both of are 5 tons are Manual trans but that different anyways.

10. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

If your bread and butter is comming from residentials then i would assume that the auto would be your best bet. If you had a manual, all the forward and backward shifting would thrash that clutch. Wouldnt it? Especially when you are trying to make some good time and you are finding yourself not pressing the clutch all the way in. Dont know if thats the right way of thinking but it sounds like it could be a problem.

11. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Over The Years I Have Plowed With Both.They Both Have Their Better Points.The Manual Transmission is Surely More Durable.When the Clutch Does Need Replacement it Is By Far less Expensive Than a Automatic Rebuild.Plowing and Shifting Is Really Rotten Though.After Running Both I Say The Automatic Is PURE LUXURY!!!

12. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I have plowed with a manual trans for 25 years, its all in what you are used to. Wouldn't have it any other way.

13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Get the auto. You have enough to think about without shifting.

14. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Stick is much more durable plowing with one sucks

15. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Back 25 years ago I wouldn't consider an auto. but now they make them so well I wouldn't consider a manual. especially because nobody can drive them. We even have a couple CDL Auto's Allinson that work fine., no driver ever blew a rear end or snapped an axle in one those. Lets not forget about answering the phone, either get an auto or bring the receptionist. plow, phone, shift. Talk about distracted driver.

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

IN all seriousness, an auto CAN be as strong or stronger than a stick- planetaries are always engaged, gears never loose contact and in most cases there is more tooth surface area than a stick. There is no way an auto would hold up to the pressure of competition on a pull truck or dragster if it was weak

Long before I was born my father had a Barracuda dragster- 426 wedge into a 727a worked (converted to a slam shift- meaning manual gear selection, 1, 2, d=3). It put out over 1000HP, and the tranny never failed during a race.

Calling a stick stronger isn't accurate in the broad sense, it'a only stronger then most stock production autos- period.

17. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

A Manual Transmission Tranfers Torque From The Motor To Its Output Shaft.A Automatic Transmission Transfers And To Some Degree Multiplies That Torque By Design.The Manual Is A Pass Thru Device And The Automatic Is A Tool That Gives More Than You Put In.In Plowing Torque is By Far More Important Than Horsepower.That Said The Decision Is Yours!!!