1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what is it worth?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by firebug130, Jan 14, 2008.

1. firebug130

firebug130 Member

I'm looking at a 2001 f250 crew cab, 5.4 auto with 106,000 miles. The truck appears to have been taken care of. It is a short bed with a meyer 7.6 poly plow about 4 years old, only on truck about two years. The truck also comes with sno ex 1075 spreader. Everything works well. Owner has installed extra leaf up front and new shocks all around when he istalled plow. Proffessional installation of plow. Has good tires, brakes etc. He stated that the truck did use about 1 quart of oil between changes, is this common with the 5.4? Should I worry about this? Any help would be great, I am not very familiar with Ford 250"s, Sorry. He wants $ 15,500.00 fo everyting including a fiberglass cap for truck. Is this too much, let me know. This truck has been in Louisville Ky since new, we don't get alot of snow so I don't think the truck is hurt from plowing but I don't know. This truck will also be my lawn truck as well as the vehicle that takes my family to the lake on weekends pulling a 21' caravelle.

Tell me what you think, Thanks!!!

2. toyman

toyman Senior Member

It's an OK price, for what all is going with it.

My opinion on that truck (crew cab) and a 5.4L is different though. It will not be good on fuel, and be very under powered. I had a 99 SC with the 5.4L and 3.73 gears, I could not pull my 6.5X12 enclosed trailer in overdrive:mad:. The trailer only weighed 1100#, with maybe 1000# cargo. My most recent truck is a 99 regular cab with 4.10 gears. It pulls better, but not as good as a V-10. Mileage is no better either:nono:. I should say that I bought this truck due to the extreme deal I got (paid $7000). My excursion that had the v-10 got around 15-16 mpg (highway), and towed like a dream, The 04 Harley Davidson Powerstrokewesport, pulled way more than it should have and loved it.

This is just my opinion based on the trucks that I have had, you will have to make the decision whether it is the right truck for your needs. My current truck isn't what I wanted, but I couldn't pass it due to price. It does the job that I need for my excavating company, but the next one will be diesel again.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree with Toyman. The 5.4 will be underpowered pushing snow, especially with a full sander. The 5.4 is barely enough motor in that heavy of a truck. JMO
  4. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I agree.

The price is reasonable, but I wouldn't want a 5.4 with a crew cab.

Probably a great truck regardless FORD:nod:

nope no and nada. pulling and plowing with a gasser, nope.
    7 years with the gear on it, how is that tranny and 4 wheel working.

best way to buy a used truck is to buy one that never plowed or pulled. then get stuff to add to it and it will just last longer and give you less problems, jmo..
  6. RedBeaverEater

RedBeaverEater Junior Member

that would be a good price for a psd....

i have a 02 350 psd and i feels like it wants to pull my 16 ft enclosed trailer loaded right off the wheels... its a monster...

i have a programmer , intake, exhaust and i get 12 mpg in the city reg and 9 towing :realmad:

something gotta be better..

get an allison
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I would keep looking. The price is not to bad considering what extras it includes but the 5.4 is a bit under powered IMO. Also, why with only 106k on it would it be using a quart of oil between changes. Sounds like it might have been run low.
  8. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Seems like too much money. There is an 01' excab f350 v10 78,000 mi with an 8.5' Hiniker straight blade for $9,995 on craigslist right now. Seems like a good deal to me but the wife said NO "you need a 6th plowtruck like you need another hole in your head" I said:nod: