1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is involved to do this

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DAZ982500, Mar 29, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I posted this at the end of another thread, and I apologize if others have seen this and did not want to respond ,anyway here it is.If I wanted to by a truck that had never been plowed with ,aside from the plow itself what do I need to equip it with in order to make it plow ready.I would be looking at a 3/4 ton FORD truck.Also what might this cost to get up to this point.DAVE

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

1. Transmission cooler
    2. Possibly a bigger battery (perhaps a second battery) and alternator

These may already be on it. May be an option called a "tow" or "snowplow" package

Not necessarily needed, but at some point you'll want rotating or strobe warning lights.

As far as cost, the cooler, battery and alternator can vary a lot. Cooler maybe $200. Battery about $100 and alternator maybe $175.

Now if you want to get a custom-made alternator, I can hook you up. But bring somebody to help carry all that money you'll need.

Warning lights - anywhere from $20 to $2000.

3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

You may want an auto instead of a stick for plowing--most operators prefer auto--hence the cooler and also add a trans temp gauge if guage cluster doesn't have one. Heat kills the ford trannys as with all trannys--mid 90's were prone to burping out the front seal when overheated

Hope you find what you want!

Doug

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you are planning on buying a new truck, as in brand new, order it with snowplow prep which will add the necessities (tranny cooler, bigger alt, etc) and stiffer front springs if possible from the factory saving you some cash, plus consider buying the plow through the dealer as sometimes they can give you a good package price.