1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is in Boss oil?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mlars, Dec 21, 2010.

1. mlars

mlars Member

In the past I've used a boss equivalent oil in the one boss plow we had, but this year we bought 2 more used ones. Not knowing their service history I replaced all the fluid before the season. I decided to use genuine boss fluid for all 3. I was very surprised when i started to pour the fluid out of a sealed quart and found it had "chunks" in it. Maybe chunks is wrong, more like semi-solid globs. I thought I had a contaminated quart, but 3 quart bottles and a gallon jug were all the same. I did a search and found nothing and my curiosity is killing me... What is it in the boss fluid?

2. AmsoiLjim

AmsoiLjim Junior Member

What I found when trying to find another product that would be close to their specs. Boss oil is made by US oil co out of WI.
    Description:
    Zinc-Free Multi-Vis #15 HVI is formulated with the latest technology mineral base oils and additives to
    provide an exceptionally high viscosity index (HVI) and extremely low pour point. This hydraulic fluid
    provides superior performance throughout a wide range of start up and operating temperatures and is
    especially recommended for industrial equipment in extreme low temperature conditions.
    Zinc Free Multi-Vis #15 HVI is a premium antiwear hydraulic oil which has long lasting oxidation stability to resist breakdown at high temperatures, maximized antiwear properties to protect vane, gear, and piston pumps from wear, outstanding rust inhibition, filterability, and demulsibility in the presence of water. It is also Zinc Free in an effort to be more environmentally friendly. This unique fluid is also formulated with a friction modifier for added lubricity to eliminate stick/slip and chatter in a variety of applications.
    This performance additive used in this product has been developed to meet or exceed the requirements of all conventional and high-output industrial and mobile hydraulic systems including; Vickers; Denison; Cincinnati Milacron; and U.S. Steel. Performance Features & Benefits: Proven Field Performance Excellent Water Separation Friction Modified for added Lubricity Excellent Hydrolytic Stability
    Excellent Low Temperature Properties Excellent Filterability
    Excellent Thermal Stability Excellent Rust and Corrosion Protection
    Excellent Oxidation Stability Resist Foaming in Service
    Excellent Antiwear Protection

Typical Physical Properties:
    Product Code 200
    ISO Grade= 15
    API Gravity @ 60° F =29.6
    Viscosity @ 40° C, cSt =15
    Viscosity @ 100° C, cSt= 4.6
    Viscosity Index =250
    Pour Point= °F -60

3. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I noticed the same globs when I opened new boss fluid containers. I kinda thought the same thing. WTF? I noticed if I shook the container a little the globs would go away. I still wonder about that too. Doesn't seem to affect anything though.

4. White Knight

White Knight Member

Very informative but where do the "chunks" come from?

5. AmsoiLjim

AmsoiLjim Junior Member

Sounds like additives are dropping or separating and may be past the shelf life. Would ask boss or us oil about it.