1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is going on with PennDot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Nov 14, 2010.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Recently I have noticed that Penndot has dismantled and removed the dome type salt sheds from their yards. I'm talking about the metal frame with canvas type.

Does anyone know if they are running liquid salt this year because I don't see any truckloads of salt like I did last year at this time.

2. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Legal issues. I'll look for a link but you guys probaly get WNEP 16 in Slatington, Pa. But they did a whole story about a month ago. After the Dallas cowboys practice dome by coverall which is similar collapsed last year with the one guy getting killed. Penndot recieved papers voiding warranties on all their structures. Saying new testing indicated 70mph winds or more could topple them. Thus Penndot saying ok, now we remove them all. For northeastern PA 3 companies won the bidding rights to remove them all. And now wood structures will be built to replace them.. Sad thing is some of them weren't even a year old yet, and now we get to foot the bill for removal and replacement as PA taxpayers.
    I also wonder if these demo companies can resell the removed structures or if their required to trash them?
    Btw: I'll look for a link for this story.

3. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, thanks for the news. And we do get wnep, must have missed that.

I often want to stop in and ask if I can buy all the concrete blocks they now have stacked up for my own shed of some sort.

4. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

5. DobbinsINC

DobbinsINC Member

what a waste of money, i'll be paying for that as well as you guys

6. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

Strange math. Paid a contractor $44K to construct and in one year paying another $180K to demolish it. I'd think they could demolish said structure for at least what it cost to build it?

George

7. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

I believe $180k is the cost to tear the old one down and build a replacement with wood.

8. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

penndot salt domes...recalled

i also herd a short story issue about them tent salt domes they were recalled ..not structually sound due to snow weight ontop of canvas..overloaded and comes crashing down...huh more junk on the recall list...go figure..

9. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Rumor had it several months back that the Union caught wind of the problems and said their {people} would not work in the unsafe work environment.

It's all generated from the rumor mill anyway... I'm not pointing a finger, just propagating a rumor.

10. TSherman

TSherman Member

Just get yourself some new toys and skip the taxes this year! They are just going to waste it anyway!

11. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

i was at a penndot yard around philly somewhere, i forget exactly where

but their dome had already collapsed, it fell right in on top of their salt so maybe its time to upgrade god forbid if someone was in there under a snow load with gusty winds come winter and it happened

we keep having these crazy summer storms w wind so i think that is what brought it down

12. DobbinsINC

DobbinsINC Member

if it was only that easy!