1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is going on in this world?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CityGuy, Mar 12, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

RIVER FOREST, Ill. -- Contractors clearing snow from residential properties won't be able to use blowers between 1 and 5 a.m. under a new ordinance passed by the River Forest Village Board.

But no such restrictions will apply to snowplows despite objections from resident John Dzuryak.

The Forest Avenue resident, who took to the lectern during the public comment part of the meeting last month, again said he finds the noise from both snowblowers and snowplows "very disturbing" and that any amendment to the contract snow removal ordinance should include snowplows.

Public works director Greg Kramer said only one of the four local contractors he contacted for feedback said banning snowblowing in residential areas could make it difficult for them to clear their clients' driveways before those clients leave for work. For the others, he said that while the restrictions might be inconvenient at times, they could live with them.

Kramer said during a Jan. 26 board meeting that while the contractors are not supposed to work between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m., those hours aren't always enforced because if snow removal started later, residents wouldn't be able to get to work or take their kids to school on time.

"It's a policy decision. I know that if my own operations were limited to daylight hours, it would be very difficult to clear the snow in a timely manner," Kramer said.

"From some of the comments I heard tonight, it sounds like a pretty close call," said village Trustee Steve Hoke, who had gone on record opposing early snowblowing hours, complaining there have been times when he was awakened by snowblowers as early as 4:30 or 5 a.m.

"I think this is the best compromise we're going to reach. That was the bulk of my concern, to get the driveways cleared. I don't think you're going to see a lot of my neighbors out there at 5 a.m. clearing the driveways, so I don't think this really affects them. I'm OK with this," Trustee Patrick O'Brien said.

The ordinance becomes effective as soon as it is published.
  2. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

friggen nuts, I would wonder if the day-care operators could have voiced an opinion?
    I would sue the pants off of the River Forest Village Board if I fell down getting the newspaper.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'll pay the fine for any plow guy who fills his driveway with snow the next time it snows.
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I'll get in on some of that too.payuppayup
  5. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

me to.

That is absolutely ridiculous. The guy complaining probably leads a ****** life and is looking for anything to complain about. Probably has a crappy job, is not getting any from his wife, etc. He probably has no idea what it takes to run a snow removal business efficiently. He's probably the cheap **** who will only pay $20 to have his driveway and sidewalks cleaned from a foot of snow.
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

x10 !!! and I'll be the one to do it. :gunsfiring:

....he can receive all the client complaints directed to his home phone & see if thats disturbing to him! lol
  7. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

river forest is only 20minutes from me....if we get another snow his drive or village hall will be plowed in by yours truly...thats just rediculous!
  8. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Inform all your customers in this area that the price for their snow removal will now be $400 per event because you will have to hire more employees and buy a lot of snow blowers so you can get them out of the drive by 6:30 am. If they have any complaints, give them this guys address and phone number and see if things change. Some people just know how to screw things up when they are not happy.

9. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

you can never make everyone happy,
    I am more concearned with the public works director his quote

Public works director Greg Kramer said only one of the four local contractors he contacted for feedback said banning snowblowing in residential areas could make it difficult for them to clear their clients' driveways before those clients leave for work.
    For the others, he said that while the restrictions might be inconvenient at times, they could live with them.
    This is going to be one of those instances where they ban vicious dogs...it's gonna bite him in the but-talks.
    I bet things will change back to normal when reality sets in.
  10. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

That guy is a jack ass!
  11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Try living in this ridiculous state. Home of b-rock and coming to a law near you.

I can not even go out in my yard and trim bush's in the early morning hours. I work nights during the summer hours and when I am bored on a night off I like to go out in the yard and work because of the temperatures. I have been talked to a few times by local cops about noise.

If I was a contractor in his neighborhood you can bet I would be at his neighbors drive at 5:01 AM with a muffler-less 12HP or above snowblower like a rooster on a farm.

Hell I may even do it if I dint have a contract with the neighbor.
  12. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you make the hour between 1 & 5 am? I would be there at 12 midnight and run it until 12:59 am.

If only 1 in 4 contractors had a problem with it, could we assume that the other 3 don't use blowers? And if they don't use blowers, how bad of a problem could noise be in that area? I say this because I don't use a snow blower. Hand shovel where I need to.
  13. QuadPlower

Would a backpack leaf blower be considered a "snow blower" if you used it for snow removal?
  14. QuadPlower

Get one of those old lawn mowers with the single cylinder engine and no muffler. Put a plow on it and use that to do his sidewalk.
  15. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

well, that one in four will be 4 for 4 pretty soon,
    That prissy homeowner wants to add snowplows to the ban as well.

I have seen a video of someone using a vacume cleaner as a blower.
    But it should not have to go there. Heck, the problem is the blowers are
    being force fed...I think they banned that for ducks too, so why not.
    foi snow is evil
  16. QuadPlower

The council should be figuring out how to save or create jobs in their area instead of restricting the ones already there.
  17. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

It would be worth every penny to hire someone to spend the entire 1am to 5am time slot clearing the neighbor's drive and walks with your above described mower/plower. Nothing he could do about it, since the ordinance only prohibits the use of blowers.

What a friggin loser. Same for the town councilors that passed the ordinance. They should be ashamed of themselves.
  18. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

10 bucks this guys sues his plow company( if he has one) for a slip and fall becuz his drive wasnt done in time for work... but then hell say the ban ends at 5 and i dont leave for work til 615:dizzy:
  19. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

How about using a shovel crew. Supply nice STEEL shovels, something that will really ring on the pavement, none of this cheap plastic junk. Get a bunch of real scary looking low-lifes. Offer cash and maybe a pint of whiskey, start them off when the bars close. Everyone brings his own vehicle, hopefully a lifted truck with glasspacks and a loud stereo, or a beater with no muffler, keep the engines running, and use the vehicle headlights to work by. The guys that don't drive get a cheap generator with no muffler to provide light, and carry a good boom box. Get a former marine drill sergeant for a crew leader, and give him a good loud bullhorn.

A total boycott of the town by all contractors is the only thing that would really get their attention, and it would never work because there is always someone who needs the work bad enough that they would not honor it, or worse yet would see it as a chance to make a killing for themselves.
  20. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

You can get his address and phone number on zabasearch. It's on Forest Avenue.

That idiot has train tracks running through his back yard. I'm sure they don't run between 1 and 5am either. Maybe he can't hear them with his head up his bum.

What about guys that work nights and sleep during the day? Shouldn't we stop contractors from working in the day so those guys can sleep?

I think they should require all homeowners to better insulate their houses.

Barack will probably require we all have "zero emissions" electric equipment by 2020, and this will be a non-issue.