1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what is float??

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dgfbmx22, Jan 30, 2010.

1. dgfbmx22

dgfbmx22 Junior Member

i have a meyer 7.5 with a joystick. the stick can stay in place if i pull it all the way down which is float mode. when do i use this? also any suggestions on hooking the plow back up on the mount and putting the pins in? it seems like it could be difficult. you guys are the best!

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

dont know the meyer mounts but float is the normal plowing position it allows the plow to move over any ground up and down or it basically floats on the surface.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

As Evan said, use float for most of your plowing. If you are plowing soft gravel, take a little strain up on the chain so the plow doesn't dig in. Also, when you get to the end of your run and you want to push out over the lawn, pick the blade up a couple of inches.

Sorry, I don't have any tips on mounting the Meyer.

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

On mine(Easy Classic model?) When I take the plow off I place a 4x4 under one side of the a-frame before pulling the pins. When I go to hook up I pull up to the plow, Hook the chain in it's marked link, and connect the angle lines. I then bump up the lift ram, this gets the A-frame really close to the truck mount. I can then wiggle the plow by hand to align up the first pin. Then I can wiggle the plow to align up the second pin. Takes me less than a minute every time.

5. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

I agree with the above method, but I take about a minute and 3 seconds. lol Actually, I think the meyer plow is a real pain in the butt to hook up. I have the EZ classic also and I find the clevise a little bit of a pain to put the pins in.

6. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

ditto...................

7. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

I park my plow with a 6x6 under the A frame. I use a 6' long 2x4 to lever it into position and get it lined up the last little bit. Usually only takes me a couple minutes. I've tried it the way a few of the other guys on here are talking about, this way just works better for me personally.

8. skiworx

skiworx Junior Member

Ours are hooked/unhooked on concrete floors so it does make it a little easier.. We have the classics also and we built roller stands that hold the plow so all we have to do is un hook the chain wiggle them some and the clevis come right out.. TIP. clean your clevis pin's up once in awhile... We use 3M roll loks in a right angle grinder and clean them up..

9. w4hyi

w4hyi Member

Float is for plowing uneaven surfaces such as a parking lot if it has a dip in it u drop the plow leave it in float so when u get to the dip the plow will stay on the ground and not skip over it it lets the weight of the plow pull down on the pump if it is not in float it will skip over the dip and leave the dip filled with snow