1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is everyone using for weather, anyone EPAWA & NOAA

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by superdutypsd, Nov 13, 2015.

1. superdutypsd

superdutypsd Senior Member

Whats everyone use for weather, for up todate info, while out during a storm, before, & after. THAT is some what ACCURATE and does blow the weather up for ratings, i use Eastern Pennsylvania Weather Authority and they have been great fairly accurate i get day to day texts and storm forcast days before, along with live update texts during storms. Also use NOAA. EPAWA does tri state area for pa so do know what some of you midwest guys use. Here is a link to there winter forcast, and some guys around me may find them helpful
    http://epawaweather.com/2015/11/06/epawa-winter-outlook-2015-2016/

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The most accurate forecast I've found is looking out the window at midnight, 2am and 4am. Short of that I hope it's snowing before I go to bed.

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Accuweather forums.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Really?....lots of wishyness there

5. superdutypsd

Epawa covers down in some parts of maryland, i was down on the bay bridge last to winters and would use them for back home and down in md for what the lastest was.

6. superdutypsd

Noaa can be good most of time, and they certainly do not sugar coat the reports like the local and regional news do to crank up ratings, accuweather and weather bug always seem to be all over the place

7. superdutypsd

Yes this works great and i do it also but sometimes calls need to be made and guys given heads up and direct, who, what, when, were, and why lol

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Last year I had a crew of 14, this year 6 after loosing 1/2 my work. I use the weather network most of the time and one of the local tv stations. If we're plowing they seem to get that part right and they all get a heads up early. It's more the 1/2" that blows in without warning and the salt trucks need to go that I worry about. For example nothing after 11pm last night was in the forecast but I woke up to everything covered in snow. The saving grace is the roads and walks are still warm so that melted.

9. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I use The Weather Network and King City Radar , but most accurate is look out my window every hour like Cet said....Thumbs Up

10. superdutypsd

Another good way to alway tell the weather which im sure it is the same fir others is the smell, i live in contry and you can always tell when snow is coming because of the sky and you can smell it out side, besides that if youve ever boken something or your old and have arthritis and feel it coming as with rain lol

11. superdutypsd

I have weather network also down here, I'll usually flip it on when get in bed and watch for a few if the evening news isnt on,

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  12. superdutypsd

What are you guys using for mobile service to stay up todate. It crazy how you can have wether network accurate up there for you guys, and all over the place down here for us. Then have accuweather working spot on for some and not for others

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Facebook....

14. Mark Oomkes

Radar, windows and Ryan.

Not necessarily in that order.

15. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Cows laying down...Facebook...How my old bones feel..

16. superdutypsd

I knew about cows laying down for rain, guess never really though about it for snow, the old how the bones feel, works for me all to well, although i wish it didnt, i broke my back in two places a couple of years ago lol

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Iowa state,
    & a 2am alarm .

18. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Look at all sources possible, then look out the window, see how wrong they were. During storms, swing into shop, look at map.

19. Mark Oomkes

Good thing you just have to wake up when the phone rings.

20. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Don't like The Weather Channel. Tried NOAA though found them to be slow to update to changes. Was liking Accuweather with their vidoes, and month forecast.

I was always bouncing between all three leaning on Accu more.

Then I found Wunderground and use them the most.