1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is better trip edge?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dss56, Jan 30, 2009.

1. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

What is better a full blade trip or a trip edge on a plow blade? I know I will get pros and cons but would like to know from experienced plowers who have had both.

Thanks

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have a fisher with a trip edge and a boss full Tripp plow I HATE THE FULL TRIPP

It trips when trying to stack snow. it doesn't trip far enough to dislodge from a 2" ice lip.

I went to the hospital in the middle of a storm because the plow hit a 2" piece of ice. the plow tripped but did not disengage from the ice. It stopped the jeep in short order, my seat belt did not work and I hit the steering wheel with my face. (I got a new seat belt) and it bent the frame. Give me trip edge

Granted this particular case is not because its a full trip, but my Fisher in 23 years of plowing NEVER sent me to the hospital.

3. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

I have a Fisher and Diamond for the trip edge, and Westerns and Meyers for the full trip. I like the Westerns because of the shock. The Fisher, lets just say its an asphalt plow. It doesn't play well with others!!:nono: When the Fisher trips, I can see the cutting edge! Not fun. The Diamonds pretty good because it is adjustable. But I still like the full trips. I guess it would depend on what kind of surface your plowing. I know I hate my fisher!! :D

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Gotta vote for the trip edge, but my opinion is biased, I've never owned a full trip plow.

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

this is a hard question to answer. the trip edge is easier on the truck by far. my dad has been plowing for at least 30 years and swears by fisher. there is however one exception. long story short 3 winters ago we had no choice but to put a conventional western on our 78. we hated it that first year because it constantly "flopped" last summer we added a new shock and 2 more springs for a total of 5. we made sure the blade still flexes and isn't so stiff it would hurt the truck. because of how strong the western is now dad prefers to use that plow more so my suggestion to you (keep in mind this is just 1 mans opinion) get a trip edge plow unless you want to spend money to slightly modify a full trip like we did. best of luck with whatever kind you choose :)

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Only plowed with Fishers here too, but the fact that a full trip generally trips too easy and dumps the load in the process is more than enough for me to not wont to even try one. If you're traveling fast enough to launch the Fisher up to travel position when it trips you're moving too fast.

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I love the trip edges on my Western V's. I will probably never own a plow without a trip edge now. They are so nice. Trust me.

8. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

trip edges save transmissions!!!:dizzy:
    i like my fisher its my 2nd and i just dont think i liike full trips

9. theplowmeister

from MA

Why do trip edge plows save transmit ions?

Have you ever plowed a full trip plow?

10. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

So you drive around at 2 miles an hour all the time when plowing? Becuase I have a sewer cap I can catch doing about 5-10 miles and hour and my old plow would jump str8 up. So speed has nothing to do with it. It has to do with how worn down your springs are, But the Xblade trip edge is great. I slammed that cap just to see what would happen with my new xblade, It just jumped about 3 inches left a lil snow behind, So my vote is trip edge and xblade if you can get one

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Dang it you beat me to it

I was going to say that LOL

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  12. cretebaby

13. theplowmeister

from MA

WHY do trip edges save transmissions and full trip don't?

14. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Just incase they missed it again. I don't get it either.

15. cretebaby

Calm down:D

Its kinda a long running joke on PS that a trip edge saves tranmissions

Hence the dizzy eyes in the OP

16. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Fisher straight blade (trip edge) and a Boss poly V (full trip).

I dont have the problem of the blade folding on the Boss because I have the springs tighted down enough to keep the blade from folding over, it will still trip but I dont push like hell with it.

But I prefer a trip edge like my Fisher, I just wish Boss would offer a V plow with a trip edge.

17. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I have only owned one trip edge and all the rest were full blade trips. I didnt like the trip edge but I would have to agree that it might have had something to do with the plowing surface. My fisher trip edge didnt really give me any problems on pavement but on some of the gravel lots and drives the trip edge would constantly trip back and forth and almost like gouge the ground. I've never had a problem with the full blade trips. Sorry if this doesnt make sense but its hard to explain I think.

18. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

I don't particularly like the attack angle of a Fisher to the pavement. Ok as a street plow but for clearing driveways I prefer a Western full trip. They seem (to me) to scrape better. I have owned both and the Fisher dealer is walking distance from home. Western is about 1hr away. Boss, Diamond, Myers, are also not nearby and have heard as much bad as good about Curtis. Warning!!! this is only a personal opinion.

19. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

im the only one who can say a trip edge saves a trany

20. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I personally prefer the full trip of my westerns because when they trip over I get a much better scrape. Just my opinion.