1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is better Dually or Taller Tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by VanceTrendov, Nov 27, 2005.

1. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov Junior Member

I have been reading this site and lawn site for a while and i thank everyone for posting, it helps out alot. Here is my problem. I own a Lawn Care Company in Minnesota. I have 150 acccounts and gross 16.5k a month in the mowing seasons. Right now i have about 25 snow accounts and will gross about 10k for the winter (no plow all hand shoveled). My account are all inner city and lots are about 50X150. I am rewriting my business plan and dont know what trucks i should get. The trucks are going to have a landscaping bed put on them (8 feet long and a 2 foot dove tail and ramp) so i can just pull my mowers on them for the mowing season and then winter if i want i can strap a sander on them.

Lawn Truck
    Regular Cab
    XL, Landscape Bed
    5.4 Liter Triton
    6 Speed Manuel
    4 Wheel
    Dual Rear

or should i get

Lawn Truck
    Regular Cab
    XL, Landscape Bed
    5.4 Liter Triton
    6 Speed Manuel
    4 Wheel
    Single Rear

F-250 or F-350 and with dual rear or not please tell me what you would do and why.

PS I am trying to get Financing of 150K i will let you know how it goes.
  2. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Well I say single axle because I really see no use in having a dually.
  3. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov Junior Member

What if the landscape bed extends past the outer wheels of the non dually?
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

A landscaping bed WILL extend out past the single wheels - just like on a dually. I can't see what the hoopla is of these landscaping beds though, to JUST have those. I understand to get the equip. around with just a truck, but if you're doing maintenance, it is SO nice to have a place to put branches, shrub clippings, grass, mulch, topsoil, or anything else you would have to have related to the maintence field. If you have a dovetail, it would work, BUT you would have to fabricate some sort of wedge frame, like out of healthy sized angle iron to BOLT DOWN onto the bed to hold the back of the spreader if it's a V box, and to just hold the spreader if it's a tailgate. Another thing to consider in your plan, that is you are going to use dovetails, consider that 2 ft. of bed that is totally useless, because you cant keep equipment on it. So, an 8' bed, with a 2 ' dovetail, should give you a whopping 6' of space to hold your equipment. That's not even worth the money. Personally, I would go with the practicle means...a decent pickup that you can use to tow, haul, drive, plow, and salt, over a bed configuration that is good for primarily about 1 thing. A trailer itself is much less expensive than one of these beds. Oh yeah, did I mention that you can use the trailer for other thing, too?
  5. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I agree... When a 12' trailer is less then 1500 bux I wouldn't bother with trying to put my equipment on the back of the truck.
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

All the landscape bed trucks i have seen have duals.

Also an automatic trans is your friend when plowing.
  7. deh8255

deh8255 Member
    from Indiana

Dually vs Single

It really depends what you are doing. Factors to consider are:

Dually - Better for loads. Increased weight distribution and less pounds per square inch on axle mounts and tire surface areas. More costly and pain to park in many situations.

Single - Better for traction. Less distribution of weight providing for more weight per square inch of tire surface area. Less costly and easier to park and navigate.

Depending on whether your truck is a 3/4 or 1 ton.

3/4 ton - I would go single, period.
    1 ton - I would go single unless pulling or hauling very large loads.

Of my friends that have 3/4 and 1 tons, the only guy with duallys pulls 5th wheel horse trailers regularly on long trips. The others pull 5th wheel campers and hitch mount flatbed trailers with singles.
  8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

If your accts are all inner city, I would go with the SRW, better turning radius.
  9. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Amen to that! :nod:
  10. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

vance u r a homo j/k don't get a Dually just hire David Cullen's Lawn Care I heard he does the best work in your area
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Of all the answers this is the best- you state a dually F350 (1 ton) or single F250 (3/4 ton). Here's the thing- really for plowing a dually sucks for traction unless you really ballast it down (like a sander), but unless you need the ballast for something it's a waste of the truck's use in the winter AND fuel for hauling 3/4 ton of ballast all the time.
    90% of landscapers around here use dually's and the only reason is because they want dump beds- they may think they need the weight capacity, but they don't. a single rear truck is good for a ton and a half in the bead IF the truck is rated for it (my Ram 2500 is a 1 ton truck plus a couple hundred pounds) and a 10K trailer on frame hitch- so what on earth are you going to carry on a normal day that you need more than that capacity? Haul a loader then you need a bigger truck- otherwise you really don't.

Duallies cost more in tires, are harder to manouver and turn in tight spaces (tough for plowing small areas), have less traction because of the weight distributing of the 2 tires on each side (terrible traction in the snow)
  12. snowscapemn

snowscapemn Junior Member

Hey, Darren Olson here. You had called me about two weeks ago to meet up and talk some business, but you never called back. I am still interested in what we had talked about. Let me know whats going on. Thanks again.
  13. Rappa

Rappa Member

I beg to differ about the dually traction in the snow. I own a dually 2-wheel drive and it is sweet. I wouln't plow driveways with it but on the main roads or lots it is great...
  14. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

I don't buy that they have less traction, I out push my buddies 1 ton with single wheels, and it has the same kinda tires. On the other hand it is alot more expensive for tires and there is more maintaince. If I did not have to haul around a dozer and backhoe I wouldn't have a dually other than I like the looks better.
  15. wls

wls Senior Member

My 2005 dodge 3500 dually turns tighter then my old 2002 f-250, short box probably because of the coil front end. My brother has a 2005 f-350 dually king ranch, turns tight too, coil front also. :)
  16. wls

wls Senior Member

I can't send you a PM, so my question is Do you know a person by the name of Paul Smith, his boy runs his old business out of Marquette, he lives in Sands or Harvey? :)
  17. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

most everyone here is right on the mark. There is nothing you are going to do that requires a dually, a 3/4 ton 4 wheeler will do everything you need to do, and the plowing will be easier and more comfortable. Most guys around here use 1 ton dumps with landscape trailers. A dump will let you carry a sander no problem, and you can bring your own material (stone, loam bark mulch,whatever) to your jobs. I don't mind a flatbed, but the 2 ft dovetail sounds ********, Dumps are better for plowing than dually pickups because they are narrower, you can get away with just an 8 footer, but you cant see much backing up. You don't want a standard for plowing, or anything else. If you ever hire anyone to do the work chances are they'll ruin your clutch for you. The only reason to have a standard is in a sports car or a muscle car. Even road tractors are automatics now. Let's see, what else? Oh, the obvious- you're looking at the wrong brand of trucks. Get one that doesn't require major front end work every couple years, and doesnt have ridicilously inflated vehicle rating numbers.