1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is a "Snow bear"?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Dec 6, 2003.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I see them mentioned alittle on here, sounds like the MTD lawn tractor of the snow plow market? Any website or anyone using one? :p just curious what they look like and why they so bad.
  2. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

real light guage metal
  4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

They are the plows most of us laugh at when we see them for sale at Lowes.
  5. I almost kinda bought one...that is until I came here!! :D

FLASHMAN Member

They are the ultimate wannabe plow...lol
  7. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

A Snow Bear is something that you see mounted on a LOWE'S Izuzu cab over delivery truck.:eek:
  8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

How much do they sell for? Don't have the money but it almost looks like it's the kinda thing a guy like me could use. Light duty use, two wheel drive use, and cheap. Just to get me by a year doing a few residential drives until I can afford a 4x4 and commercial plow. How much do they cost? I'm just asking so don't go :gunsfiring:

LOL :jester: :angel:
  9. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

BHB- they cost about a grand......don't waste your money. They are garbage.
  10. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Re: DONT

Oh yeah, I've seen decent used commercial ones around here for that much. I was guessing around $500 in which case it might be worth giving it a shot for what I do (if it broke I can weld it and beef it up some). Guess I'll stick with the little tractors this year at least they're paid for and versatile payup
  11. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

YA do your self a favor and stick with the tracktors.

JOsh 99zr2
  12. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

Kind words for the snow bear

I live at 6,000 feet in the Sierra Nevada. I get about 15 feet of snow per season. I plow about a mile of dirt road with a Snow Bear mounted on an old suburban. I have used the plow for seven years. I bought it for $1,100 at a warehouse store. I plow every 6 inches, which in a storm cycle is about every 6 hours. The only problem of consequence has been the winch motors which are made by Superwinch. Have I welded on them, yes. Have my friends with other plows, Western, Meyer, welded on theirs, yes. I suppose I could say speaking from years of experience, Snow Bears aren't "garbage".
  13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks for the input toiyabe. Is your Suburban 4wd or just 2wd?
    Got any photos of the Snowbear? Could not find any good shots of the frame and mounting apparatus on their site.
  14. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

A two wheel drive is going to get kicked sideways if you have much snow at all.. I chain all four tires.. I don't have photos of the attachment. There is a mount on the truck and a swivel connection.. you do have to swing the blade by hand, but for the price it is not a bother.
  15. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

:p you can be serious !:p
  16. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

listen they are rbage their might be good for 1 thing a boat anchor maybe not THeir so crappy and light it might float
  17. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

There To light to even be a boat anchor. :p
  18. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Ok Ok I get the idea guys LOL. :gunsfiring:
  19. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

Did you mean you can"t be serious? Does it not appear that I made a serious statement? I find it odd that one is so quick to disparage. The facts are real.
  20. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

If you do your home work i.e. take a look at the volume of snow you will need to move you can make a decision as to the plow you can use. My home gets a lot of snow.. Probably more than anywhere in the east. I also deal with a long very steep driveway. The Snow Bear works fine.. But if you read the posts one would have to be an idiot to buy one.. If you read the "anti" posts they are usually of the "Chevy trucks are crap" sort of thing, poorly reasoned and from people without much experience with them. My only guess is that many eastern plow operators are not open to concepts in conflict with their own. That, or they are even worse equipment abusers than myself.