1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is a good UTV to plow with?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by PTTP08, Mar 1, 2011.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I am a maintenance supervisor for a property in MN. and they are going to let me have a UTV in 2012 so I can plow out a few spots in the winter and use around the property for the summer months for odd jobs I am excited! Here lies the problem I have never bought a UTV so I know nothing about them what is a good brand? and I can buy local here in twin cities? I would looking to get a smaller gas one no need for a diesal one. Don't think that would be in the budget haha.

Thank you
  2. spyder666

spyder666 Junior Member
    from NEPA

at work i used to have a bobcat toolcat. worked great. any attachment you could think of on front. i used the bucket and the hydraulic plow in the winter time. heated and air conditioned cab. hydrualic dump body. i even had an electric spreader in the back bobcat made for it.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Considering you'd be making the purchase local. I'd say hit every shop that sells them and get brochures so you can read up and compare the differences. You can price them out and see what each will cost as well. After the sticker shock, you can make a rational decision.
  4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A Polaris Ranger 800 sounds like it would work good for your situtation.
  5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Kubota RTV or the JD Gator.

Buy something designed for work, not a toy you can work with.
  6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

It helps to have a budget, they are all over the map.
  7. socket

socket Junior Member

i use my rhino to plow snow. disc food plots and haul firewood and it works like a charm. 3600 miles on the machine and no issuses havnt even changed a belt. the best part is i can take it out to the trails and have a ball.
  8. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

The Rhino is a good machine but has load limitations and is hard to enclose. We have two with moose plows and they are great plow machines. The gator has good carrying capacity and decent plowing ablilties but I would say if price isn't an issue the toolcat is the way to go.
  9. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

If i didnt have a budget......
    What would i get?

I would get A JD Gator With a Boss Plow (I know for a fact the Plow is 4k) Gators probably 10-14k?
    Or a Kubota they look cool too!
    Dont forget the enclosure too!
  10. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We have a Kubota RTV that would work well in that application. It has a Blizzard plow, small snow ex salter and full cab. PM me for details, it is for sale. Very good condition.
  11. spyder666

spyder666 Junior Member
    from NEPA

we had both the toolcat and the gator at work. i never liked the gator. we have alot of sidewalks to do and it never steered well. the six wheels made it difficult and even locked in the rear tires are all that spin, not the front. which pushed it along skidding not turning. the toolcat also has 4 wheel steering with made it great for tight spaces.
  12. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Only thing that may be an issue with the gator is the belt drive...not good when stacking/plowing
  13. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

The Boss plow is 4k if you get it from JD Dealer. From a Boss dealer it should run in the high 2k range. Like PPM said we need budget range.
  14. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

15. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Sounds like a belt slipping to me.....
  16. leon

leon Senior Member

to UTV or not to UTV that is the question

Your better off buying an Kubota BX2360 with a front loader, back blade, all weather curtis cab, heater and rear chains.

You will be out much less money and have a more suitable piece of iron as you wil be able to mount snow caster/thrower on the rear with no trouble.
  17. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

18. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

The hydrostatic tranny on the Kubota...plus it being diesel are both HUGE plus' in my opinion
  19. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

How about buying a used plain jane Jeep Rangler. That would be very useful for what you want and you can put a cheap little trailer behind it to pick up and carry or move items.
    Once I priced a new Ranger, the cab and the plow. I found that I could get a nice used Jeep and plow for less money and do more with it.
    I am NOT against owning ATV's & UTV's because I own both. My UTV is getting long in the tooth 1994 Mule.
  20. I just purchased a Kubota RTV1100 for a sidewalk machine this year. I mounted the boss 6.5 V blade on it. The Kubota is loaded and a true work horse. The boss seems to work good. The blade is big enough to plow small lots. It works great for tight lots that the trucks have a hard time moving around in. The Kubota and blade is around 25k out the door canadian. Plus 0% financing for 36 months. This is much cheaper then 40 plus k for the toolcat. I strongly feel that the Kubota is a much heavier built machine then any other utv on the market. If you buy a utv buy a Kubota.