1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is a decent CHEAP strobe for my plow truck

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 2dogs2, Dec 23, 2007.

1. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

I am looking for a decent cheap strobe for my plow truck. It does not go further then a mile, since it's not licensed for the road, but state requires if I plow across the road I need a light on top.
    I have a full size 89 Blazer. I don't know if magnetic or permanent mount would be best, and if a permanent mount; what would be the best way to wire it?

Thanks..

pc

2. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I would say look on awdirect for light prices, but if you dont use the truck on the road,and are just puting lights on for legal reasons, I would suggest getting a cheap rotator from tractor supply, or the like.

3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say go to your local auto parts store they would probably have something pretty cheap. For something that your doing you could just have a co jack. One halogen rotator. Those things are really cheap and would be perfect for you.

4. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

5. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

6. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Ebays your best friend. Coulda got a quality strobe for that much.

8. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Got a wolo on Amazon for $12 + ship

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Those wolo lights are junk. They aren't bright, nor are they ISO certified. I've bought at least a hand full of lights off eBay for that much or a little more that would have been certified and at leasat 10X brighter.

Your money, do what you want.....:rolleyes:

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

hand.jpg

11. mnormington

:nono::nono::nono:
    I like mine. Don't see one thing wrong with it. Of course, you can't see it from a mile away but it does the J-O-B. wesport

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I disagree. If a light cannot be seen from at least 500 ft away what good is it? I haven't gone the 'cheap' route with any of the rest of my equipment, why would I do so with something intended to increase the safety of myself and other motorists?

Besides, you get what you pay for.

13. mnormington

500 ft? I only need to be seen from 50 ft. If you think you need a light that can be seen from a block away or from outer space, good for you. I really don't think it's necessary. Hell, I've got headlights and blinkers all around. If they can't see that they are blind anyway. I just put this goofy thing on to be legal. All it's good for is an attention getter. BTW, a lot of us have to go the cheap route so that's what we do. If you don't have to I'm happy for you.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  14. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

500 feet? holly crap

I got my lightbar used with magnets but had to snip the wires though as it was wired into the truck and I want it wired to a power point outlet so I can remove it in summer no biggie something to do on a weekend this summer,it was only $10 made by SWS its the first light bar on the page

http://www.swscanada.com/pages/amberLightBars.html

15. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

16. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It is important for me to have my trucks be visible. Reaction time, vehicle behavior and road conditions greatly increase a vehicle's stopping distance. I'm going to give other motorists as much advance warning as I can that one of my trucks may be in the street or is otherwise potentially dangerous.

17. mnormington

I share your emphasis on safety, believe me. Nothing wrong with that!:salute:

18. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Personally, I would not have one at all except to be legal. My truck is for my driveway only, and I am on the road for under 120 seconds. (which is approximately how long the light will be on) I do not take my plow anywhere else since it is not licensed for the road in my state. (not that it can't be) Most of the plowing I do is between 4-5am anyway, and there are not really cars out here in the boonies at that time.

Thanks for your concern though....