1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is a back blade and how do they work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Allagash, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I keep hearing about them but I don't know anything about them. Anyone have a link to pictures of one? Is it something that attaches to the back of the truck that drops when you reverse? Or something that works in conjunction with the plow up front. I'm showing my ignorance here....

2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

a back blade is an attatchment for your plow. here is a picture of mine. made from an old cutting edge. this would be used for i.e driving up to a garage door droping your blade and backing up. walla its done. now you guys mind that the drive is not level so dont tease me.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check out snowmans link at the top of the page for one example of a back blade.

You control a back blade seperatly just like a front blade with the advantage being that you can pull snow out of drives and truck wells for example and get the area cleaner along with the fact if your doing a drive way you can back in and pull everything to the road without having to drive into the drove, drop the front blade to clean in front of the grage, back out and turn around to back back into the drive to finish pushing out the drive.

4. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

ok so its not lettin me upload the picture. but i will when the board is working right. i think you have confused as to the question cause there are two different types of back blades those that attatch to the back of your front plow and those as stated above.

5. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

It is easily a confusing term.

I call plows like the Snowman a rear plow, or pull plow. These are mounted to the rear of the truck.

A back-drag blade is part of, or attached to the front plow. These are angled opposite of the cutting edge to allow you to pull snow backwards with the plow; ie: pulling up to a garage door, dropping the plow, and backing up.
    Some plows seem to do OK without a back-drag blade, but many would just ride up onto the snow instead of pulling it. This is an example of a back-drag blade from Western's web site. http://www.westernplows.com/proplus.asp See line "F"

I guess you could call either type a backblade.

6. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Very good responses. I like the pics on the Western Plow site. I'd like to see a picture of the rear mounted back blade, also...

7. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

http://www.snowmanplows.com/

8. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

ok heres the picture i was talking about. and remember the blade isnt worn that bad. the drive is crappy. and yes that is an empty bolt hole. i only put in three of the five bolts. but works fine. it swivles do when you go forward it lays down and floats.

phone 045m.JPG

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  9. ght1098

ght1098 Member

Here are some pics of my "back blade" and the mount I'm currently modifying for my new truck.

snowplow 001.jpg

snowplow 002.jpg

snowplow 003.jpg

snowplow 004.jpg

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

back-drag blade

my back-drag blade I consider to be an essential tool for residential. mine is hinged so it floats backwords when your pushing, but when you reverse the plow lifts up onto the now vertical back-drag edge thus really putting some serious cleaning effort to the pavement. you will have blacktop when reversing and does a good job at busting up ice and hardpack. the hinges are welded to where the factory shoes were located(those were torched off). It cost me $270 and worth every penny.

A pull plow can handle more snow with its applied downpressure, good if you have to bring snow from the back of a long driveway out to the front, or removing snow from loading docks, but you then have to turn around and push it into a pile. I prefer to just pull in drop the blade, scrape clean while backing up, then finish by pushing the snow I've dragged to the bottom of the driveway into a pile off to the right or left of the driveway(depending on which direction I need to be facing to get to my next drive.)