1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What ice prevention do YOU recommend?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Sweetpete, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey Guys:

Quick question: A customer of mine just had new concrete poured in May of this year. So, the concrete is relatively new. Anyways, like any other customer, they're on a budget, so my question is this: what is the ice preventer does the least amount of damage to new concrete and which is also the best deal.

The parking lot holds approx. 80 cars, if that matters. So, thanks in advance for the info. I really appreciate it!!

2. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

I surely wouldnt use salt, but thats just me, It will pit the new concrete, I use sand, never had a problem,:cool:

3. little pat

little pat Member

The concrete isn't totally cured yet, putting anything on it could damage it. Try to get a waiver for damage from the owner to protect yourself.

4. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I would use magic. i put it on cement, grass, my truck and what ever else it landed on and it didn't hurt a thing.

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The concern here is just the material being put down in it, but the surface expansion. Even with concrete "safe" chemicals, you are risking damage...with most, even more so. What is happening is this. The ice melts (especially with hotter chems) and seeps down into the concrete, which is highly porous - especially when new. After that, it refreezes and causes expansion. This is where you're going to see your surface damage. This expansion-contraction cycle takes place several times during the season. Hotter chemicals, such as calcium, potassium, and especially magnesium (chloride OR acetate) allow more heat - and therefore, more absorbtion deeper into the concrete. This is one I would DEFINITELY have a waiver signed for. I would have all this explained on the waiver that this can possibly happen, too. Either that, or just stay away from it. There's more work out there. You have to plow alot of snow to pay for all that concrete to be busted up and hauled out of there, and new concrete to be poured. Just my 2 cents.

6. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone. What are your feelings on using sand? Would that help. The concern is more for people NOT slipping and falling than actually melting the ice, I suppose.

What do you think?

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you have a sprayer, you might try straight Magic -0. It would help melt the ice but at the same time run off instead of getting into the concrete like Magic Salt. It would be more expensive than some methods, but might wind up "saving the day".

Sand on concrete is going to give you a false sense of security because there is nothing holding it in place. It will just slide, eventually just gathering on the edges of the lot. You really need some way to "burn into" the ice.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Im with Mick, anything magic sells should work fine, just don't overdue it.

Good Luck Mike

9. I like the Magic. It's probaly the safest products for concrete. Nothing is perfect but because it stays fluid til -35 you don't get the refreeezing you get with calcium or salt.

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i would use calcium on the concrete if youre going to use anything salt eats at the concrete and sand is just too messy especially a couple days after application as it doesnt break down like salt and calcium

11. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

The only product that is Federally and FAA approved for -2 year old concrete is CMA 100%. It will not chemically attack the concrete or the rebar.

This product is being written into a lot of specifications by engineers and architects.

12. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

So these 80 cars are going to drive to work and pick up salt from the roads and bring it in the lot . If they are that worried sand it heavy .

13. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

I have a few job with new concrete on them and I have always worked with the customer to find the right product and the amount for the job,I have found that allot of my clients prefer me to use MAG.

14. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

I would have to say, that if I believed the spec sheets that the producers of MAG send me, I would have to never sell another ice melting product, othe then MAG flake or MAG pellets.

We sell whatever the customer wants, unless they ask our opinion what we suggest, from our 25 years in the business.