1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what i should do with my future? Should i move or should i stay?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rthomas1787, Nov 16, 2009.

1. rthomas1787

rthomas1787 Junior Member
    from alaska

Hi, My name is Ryan i'm 18 and currently live in Ohio. I will be going off to college next fall and am having a hard time in making a decision on where i want to go. In Ohio i own my own landscaping business that keeps me very busy during the spring, summer and fall. I do some snow removal in the winter but just with a snowblower and shovel. I like doing landscaping work but i just do not like Ohio and can not see me myself living here for the rest of my life. I would not be happy.

I really like the outdoors especially skiing and i am thinking of moving to Colorado but i would have to start my well developed business over again. I am looking at a college in Breckenridge CO for a degree in fire sciences. My parents are very supporting of me and will be paying for my college education and room and board so i wont have to worry about living expenses.

I understand that there is not much mowing out there but there is a ton of snow. I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra double cab 4x4 and am considering buying a plow for it if i decided to go to school in CO. Do you think that my truck with a plow could handle the kind of snow fall that Breckenridge gets? I also have a Toro Dingo that i could get a blower or plow for but i probably wont because of the hassle of towing it around to job sites.

Overall do you think dropping my business here in Ohio and going to CO for school and try to get into plowing would be worth it if it would make me happy?

Thanks for your input,

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Screw the plowing-go to school.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you have a successful business at 18 I would stay put and find a college there. May not be what you want at this time but at least you have a job.
    Another thought is go to CO and just check into starting all over. There may be an overabundance of landscaping co's there already.
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

maybe you should call dr drew or somethign cuz ur asking this to a bunch of plow jocks:eek:
  5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

LOL i was thinking the samething.

It will be hard for any of us to answer this... We are not you we all make are own choices in life. Just do what ever your heart is set on.
  6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Dude, you have the rest of your life to work. Go to college and discover women. With your parents paying its a no brainer. Not a lot of people are that lucky/fortunate.
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

thats true.....if there gonna pay take advantage as long as you can:drinkup:
  8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Go to school and get your education. I went to college and was out of the game for 5 years. But I came out with 2 degrees and my masters in business and I am grateful for that. I have something to fall back on if I ever wanted to close shop. I use what I learned in college everyday on the job. As far as thinking about putting a plow on your truck and using it in Breck it will not work. My good friend is a pro snow boarder and he lives in Breck. I go and visit him every year for a few days of skiing. I know how much snow they get and your truck cant handle it. Good luck and if you think you will be happy in CO. Then go there and get your ED>
  9. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Not to mention where in Colorado he is planning on going to school. A new batch of women roll into town every week or so...

Maybe i should start a thread asking if i should move back to Colorado ? Then again I'm not 18 anymore. :realmad:
  10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

give me all your accounts and goto school =)
  11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Why come all the way to Breck for a Fire Science degree? They are a dime a dozen at pretty much any community college.

There is plenty of lawn to mow in Colorado. We are not a bunch of mountain men living in cabins and killing our dinner. Well not all of us anyway. Establishing a new business, especially in and around Breck will be tough. There arent many new houses being built right now and the market is cut throat at best and in some places, non existent.

Breck averages 300 inches of snow every year. I think it would take a little more truck than you have to handle it reliably.

Dont give up on school though. I got my Fire Science degree after high school but never attended a 4 year college. Worst mistake I ever made.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

how successfulis this biz? is it where you make good money after all is paid or is it hey mom, came up short this week, can ya spot me? just to be clear
  13. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

if you have a good money making company i would go to school there and save up money to move and get a house/apartment that you really want. and im not sure your truck could handle that much snow. but do what you think is right and what you really want and can handle
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  14. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

go to school...go have fun, party, get laid.. you have the rest of your life to work... more than likely you wont be able to up and go to school in CO when your 40 with a wife and kids.
  15. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Go to school! If at all possible, find someone to buy your business, and move where you want. If not, than go to school and run your business. No matter which route you go, make sure you go to school. Like everyone else has mentioned...You have the rest of your life to work, and you will most likely work the rest of your life.:dizzy: Have fun now while you can, :drinkup: because if you don't, you may regret it for the rest of your working life! Good Luck :waving:
  16. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

You almost have me talked into moving there with this statement. lol

Are you sure that you want to be in this business for the rest of your life?
    The answer to that question should help you decide.
    Either way it's gonna hurt. If you stay for the business but hate where your living I don't know that you will ever be happy, if you move you will always wonder what would have happened... The good news is your young enough that if you get out there and do not like it you can come back.

Try subbing out your current customers to a trust worthy person for a few months and go out and make sure thats where you really want to live.
  17. goatboy1

goatboy1 Member

what I like the best is how much wisdom comes out of all these comments....where tf where you guys when I needed you...45 years ago?
  18. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I wonder if he took there advise?
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  19. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

This advice is not the underpinning of a moral life. You are only 18 now so i don't expect you to understand completely, but you will be successful if you live the golden rule and love your work. Ask you parents for good advice, they know you better than we do.
  20. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Not a lot of people are that fortunate. Get your education. For now and for later, having options is good.