1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what I have, and how to get more business?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Hubjeep, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Howdy,
    Been doing this for three seasons, I currently have about 7 driveway "accounts" (about $60 each on average). Four are all neighbors about 10 minutes away from me:D

I charge the same price unless it is over 10" (like a blizzard where I charge the amount + 1/2 (I talk to one guy that says he charges every 4", or every time he plow's :confused: )

How could I go about getting more customers? Business card in mail box?

Thanks,
    John :cool:

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Word to mouth always worked best for me, it does take some time.Also you could try fliers or getting a sign on your truck.I got two new parking lots last season without any advertising at all.

3. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Hubjeep,
    Just a note of caution, it is a federal offense to put anything in a mailbox without postage on it :( You could try a doorknob hanger, direct mail; try to figured out what works best in your area. If you are looking for a service contractor of some sort, how do you usually go about it? That could give you an idea of where to spend your advertising $. Do a search here, this has been discussed a lot. Wishing you success! :waving:

4. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Good point, i always try to put any fliers either on a door hanger or inbetween doors if they have a double door.If the mailbox is the only option i fold it and stick it between the flag and hope it doesnt blow away :p

5. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i've had a really good response from "yard signs" (they are about the same as a realtors sign)

my sign reads "snowplowing 555-555-5555" thats it
    $100 got me 7 signs

i put them in areas i want to target, right on the corners of streets in neighborhoods.

also, ask a current customer to see if you can stick it there. it helps to keep the accounts located somewhat close.

6. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I have tried it all - yellow pages, newspaper, local paper, fliers, web page, etc.

With 10 years of snowplowing advertising under my belt. Distributing flyers has always worked best for me, I avr. about 10% in call backs. This percentage of call back(responses), is way higher that all the other methods I have tried. Its a great way to let people no your in business, and the costs are minimal.

Chuck B.

7. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Thanks, I will try that. Did you put them in mailboxes?

When I first started I put up a couple flyers with my number on little tabs at the bottom. One lady called me and said how smart it was of me to do that. She is also the same lady who wants her driveway plowed exactly to the metal strip of edging dividing the grass from the driveway :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

-John :cool:

8. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Signs on the side of a truck drum up pretty good business...

9. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Do not put fliers in Mail boxes, if you do, you will be getting a phone call from your local Postmaster!

Chuck B.

10. EcoPlow

EcoPlow Junior Member

Door hangers work great. I have my trucks painted to match my design theme, it's pretty bold. I'd say i get more calls from the hangers than from almost anything else. Just got another 500 of the hangers printed, I usually get about 50-70 clients from them.

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You can buy a box of elastic rubber bands and use these to hold the hangers onto the "handle" of the mailbox. That way the customer has to take the flyer off and see's it but you also aren't breaking any laws. Just don't attach it to both "handles" so the door doesn't open.

12. EcoPlow

EcoPlow Junior Member

I completely agree, if the hanger is hung on the door, they have to physically remove it. 90% of people that remove something from a door take the time to at least look at it. Make it catchy and unique and they will actually read it and retain the information. (I have a masters in marketing)
    My company is all about being as green as possible, we used hemp instead of rubber bands, but it still does the same thing.
    [​IMG]

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats some great marketing right there.

14. EcoPlow

EcoPlow Junior Member

Thanks. Just finished another 500 of them
    [​IMG]

15. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

OMG, teh GREEN bandwagon, it's everywhere even here. :alien:

This will attract customers though, I have had a few people say they want a Hybrid just because "it's better, right?"