1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What I Don't Understand about Fluid Film

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by Doakster, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I sprayed one of my plows down with my FF sample bottle and here's what I don't understand.

I know everyone says that FF will say on metal for awhile and gets into the pores, but if I wanted to I could wipe the stuff off with my finger, not completely but I could definitely take a rag and wipe the stuff off it I wanted.

So how is a years worth of plowing and abuse not going to take the stuff off at least off the mold board and front of the plow.

Enlighten me oh wizzards of FF.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Danooooooooooooooo!

3. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

grandview!!!!!!!!

4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Well I think you have to spray it every otherstorm or so. On the moldboard surface It doesnt last all winter, least mine didnt. And to be honest, I never had a real issue with snow sticking so I never used FF on the moldboard except for the time I tried it. I use it on just about every other part just not the moldboard.

5. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

i dont understand the question.. of course you can wipe it off with your finger but it dosnt completly wipe off.. its your finger.

and when you wipe it off with a rag there is still a thin coat on the plow.. why are you wiping it off? just spray it and leave it on there

6. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

My whole point is that it can be wiped off eventually, why did I try and wipe it off?....to see if the stuff will stay on. I'm not going around spaying things and wiping them off for the heck of it.

This is the first time using the product for me and I just want to understand why and how it stays on what ever it is applied to.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

IMO FF isn't very good on your moldboard, it's more meant as a corrosion inhiboter. Spray it under your pump cover and all over your plow and under your truck and it will help with corrosion, Nothing will stop rust but FF will help. I spray about 8 gallons every fall, so I hope it does something.

8. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Okay, Fluid Film remains wet. Because it remains wet, it could easily be wiped off a surface. It is what has happened under the surface that is important. The wool wax base in Fluid Film seeps into the pores of metal, and once that occurs, it does not let go easily.

To give an example of how long it lasts if you rub it in: My cousin had an old beater work truck that had a faded, oxidized paint job. We used Fluid Film like a wax, spraying it on and then rubbing it in with a rag. The paint looked damn near new when we were finished. It was amazing even to me. I saw him months later and the paint job still looked good and he hadn't reapplied.

If you can leave it wet, then do. It will last even longer.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try this

Spray Fluid Film on ANYTHING, let it set for a little while then wipe it off. Then spray paint on it, you'll see the residual effect:eek:

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

So many little Secrets...!!! Maybe put that info on the can.....

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Think it would work to restore faded Kubota tractor plastic parts-ie: roof and fenders? :drinkup:

13. Dano50

from CA

It does shine up plastic, for sure. It should last a few months, at least. It all depends on how much time is spent out in direct sunlight.

14. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Thanks Dano, bought some last week for the first time. Used it to free up a sticky pedal on a backhoe. Quite impressed with the results.

Will try it on the plastic once this rain clears out in a couple of days.

BTW-The stuffs not cheap up here.

15. Dano50

from CA

Yeah, I know. It's part of the promotion costs that were involved with spreading the word up there.

16. joyofFluidFilm

joyofFluidFilm Senior Member

wow....that's amazing!!! woohooo!!! jumping for joy purplebou of fluid film