1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what/how to charge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GAV64, Dec 1, 2005.

1. GAV64

GAV64 Junior Member

I work for a warehouse distribution facility, for the last 3 years I have been plowing it with my company supplied service vehicle, 2000 Ford F350 diesel, dually w fisher 9ft plow and my personal skidsteer w snow bucket and plow. I have rented the skidsteer to the company by the running hour and it has worked out for the both of us, it would have sat all winter anyway. This summer we were bought out and the new company's policy was no company vehicles could go home so my boss much to my suprise gave me the truck & told me I have to bill back mileage for company use. I have to come up with a way to bill for the snow removal use of the truck. I along with the two men that work for me will be on the company clock, I talked to my insurance agent
    and he said I am covered for the truck with my current policy and I have talked to the new owners (fortune 500 company) regarding liability if someone were to fall ect... so that is covered, but how to charge for the truck. The company is open 24/7, 4 acres of pavement (large triangle with building in the middle), lots of islands, 13 bay loading dock, office parking ect...Hartford CT snow and ice, any ideas out there, charge by hour, inch, event I am lost, you guys are the experts, I bet you don't get too many questions like this. glenn
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I would charge by the hour, which I take is how you were charging for the skidsteer. I my area we get between 80-100 per hour for a truck with a 8' plow and exp. driver. I get 100.00 per hour with a skidsteer and standard bucket(used to scoop snow out of small areas).
  3. go plow

go plow Senior Member

is it your truck??? i have the same truck, mines an 02, depending on who i plow for / big company/ or my own client. i get between $125-$150 per hour for my truck.... im only about 40 min away from you so that price may still bo ok, in your area per hour (truck time only)
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Boy did you get a deal on that truck.

Since you been plowing it for years. You know how long it takes to plow for X number of inches. So I would bill it per inch, using your knowledge of how long it takes to plow that many inches. it takes then add a couple of hours incase of problems, then a little more for profit. So if it takes you 7 hours to plow 4", used 9 hours just to be safe, then another hour for profit. So take 10 hours times your per hour rate, then that will give you a price per inch. You will make more money this way.