1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What holes you guys using?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MRBachand, Oct 10, 2009.

1. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

On the back of the a-frame where it attaches to the truck there are 3 holes. My top 2 are blown out from previous owner, and been plowing for 3 years on the bottom.

On my Chevy which is already low enough, this makes it very low, and a very straight angle.

I think I'm going to get a plate welded this year basically repairing those holes and attach to the top one, to change my angle a little bit, and gain clearance for pushing over curbs.

Which holes do you guys use?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You need to use the hole that puts the a-frame parallel to the road surface.

3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

What he said- and check your a-frame; if those holes are blown out I bet the a-frame is tweaked...

4. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I agree, you have to keep the A Frame parallel with the ground. I know when I lifted my truck 4" I had to kick it up to the top hole, otherwise when I would go to put the plow on I couldnt push the headgear back to lock in the pins. This was due to the A Frame being angle down towards the plow. I did a fit to check right after my lift install so I wouldnt be laying in the snow before the 1st storm trying to figure out why I couldnt get hooked up...ha..took care of it during the summer instead...So make sure you are as close to level as you can get or you will have problems with hook up or unhooking depending on which way your angle is (angled towards truck, or towards plow)

5. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

My plow is so welded and fixed and beat, i wouldn't be surprised if its tweakeed.... this will be the 4th year I'VE plowed with it, holes been blown out before I got it...

Anyhow, By Parallel with the ground, you mean when plow is up, or down, or both?

I think its parallel now. Just so damn low.... I was hoping to give it a little angle downwards to increase hight of low spot, and thought the angle would help trips be a little less violent...

Now that I'm thinking about it, If my top 2 holes are blown out, using those would actually LOWER my plow... I'll have to look at it when I drop the plow as I can't see it loaded. Perhaps the bottom 2 are blown out.. Then again if it were the bottom 2 blown out, i could probably see em loaded. .?? I'lll find out.

OK, Bottom ones are blown out.

When DOWN, my plow is actually angled UPWARDS. Meaning I could use the holes.

Still answer the above questions if possible.

As Always, thanks guys, and let the snow gods MAKE IT SNOW!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Are you sure you just didn't need a little more slack in your lift chain to llow the headgear to go back more?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Parallel with the ground when when the blade is down. Do you have a cutting edge on the plow? If you can get it on the truck, do so and take some pics. We can help you get it figured out.

8. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

One season old 8" cutting edge, so tons of beef still, and its sitting on a 2x6 (1.5") Has quite an angle on it still. I need to get that hole fixed up, its only blown out on one side. You can actually see half the blown out hole right underneath the pin far bottom right by the cord.

plow angle 001.JPG

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The eight inch edge is part of the problem. Do you have a pic of the whole truck? That is sitting way low for a one ton. Take the block out, and make sure there is no strain on the lift chain.

10. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

The extra long cutting edge didn't cause that we run over sized ones, always have, it will cause trip springs to push up the top plates on them, but not mounting hole adjustment problems such as the back side of a hole being ripped out. Atleast it has not on our plows, and they are not new plows either. I would almost think that happened from backdraging really fast and hitting something. I would think any good welding shop could fix that. be it plating the back of them, or cutting them off and making new.

Think all our plows are at the middle holes, since all the trucks sit at the same height at the front ends.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry - the big edge didn't contribute to wear. But it is affecting the angle of the a-frame.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  12. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

I'll get better pictuers of entire truck tomorrow.

Like I said been like this for the 4 years I've had the truck. I just put the edge on it last year.

Its a 9' plow, truck weights 9500lbs without plow on it, Dueal rear wheel utility body Chevy .. so Torsion bars always alot lower than ford or dodge. Diesel engine too....

New KYB Monomax shocks on this year. Tire upsize from last year.

It plows fine btw, loads fine... Just really low, it will scrape if I push over most curbs.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it's time for new XG torsion bars. Probably pooped after lugging all that weight around for so long. Reg cab?

14. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Reg cab yep... I've never cranked em either.... I have no problems :)

Truck sits level a tad higher in the front with the new MonoMax's I just tossed in, but basically level without plow on it.

I'm gonna have my welder fix up those holes.. Just weld a 1/4 or 3/8ths plate right next to the existing ones. Looks like there is room. without removing the old. Cheap and easy, i'd do it myself but I'll go through more in drill bits and cutting materials and welding rods than to have it done from a pro with a press to cut the holes and plasma to cut the plates......

I'm sure my T-bars are a little tired, but they are what they are. The Independant front suspensions of GMC's have a tradeoff for superior ride comfort compared to the other 2 which sit higher, but ride like crap compared.... Don't even get me into CV boots ripping :)

Was going to do timbrens, but everyone else I talk to says they just squish down and get no addition height out of them...

My 9' plow is no virgin to welds, in fact It probably gained 2-300lbs since when I got it you couild see right through the blade, and there must have been a snofoil on as the top was rotted to crap.

Some people just don't hose this stuff off after storms.....

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, considering the fact you can't get the a-frame level, and keep hitting curbs I'm not sure I would say you have no problems LOL

Just like everything else, Timbrems need to be installed properly. They may need to be shimmed a bit so they start taking load as soon as the blade starts coming up. They are spongy/springy, but they need to be to work properly. If you just stuck a steel block in there, a SuperDoody would feel like a Caddy.:laughing:

I bet you would be quite pleased with new bars and properly installed Timbrens.

16. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

I'm pretty sure both my angle and curb issue would be resolved with the holes repaired, and back in the proper hole.

I agree I would be happy with new T-bars and timbrens, but I only have so much money to spend, I can work around the height issue as I have the entire time I've owned this truck. Also, with 1000lbs of ballast in the far back (which my utility body overhangs rear axle by 4-5 feet) It does give a fair amount of lift back to the front.

Thak you for your fast replies btw. I now know what to look for to be at 'desired' settings.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck. Post a pic once you get it fixed with the ballast in.

18. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I use the top hole. Never knew that it was supposed to be parallel to the ground. All the things Ive learned from 2Cor. Im going to look tomorrow :nod:

19. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

Im possitive, I had bought a new chain that was longer, had extra slack in it, was just from going from stock height truck to 4" lift, and from bottom mounting hole to top on the A Frame holes..So I know that if your A frame isnt level to the surface it is sitting on it will be more difficult to hook up...looks like you have a minute mount 1 though in your pic, so Im not sure how they are..

20. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Just dropped it off at my welder. I only had 1 hole on one side, and 2 on the other, meaning I was on the TOP hole, the others blown out.

He's going to weld a 1/2" plate next to the existing with 3 holes, and I told him to put the pin in the lowest hole.

I'll take pictures when I pick it up.

Was very happy he was open today.