1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What He Said!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Apr 2, 2008.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Snowplow Operators Deserve Thanks
    By thewhig.com
    Print This Story E-Mail This Story Save This Story

Editor's Note: The following is a March 27 opinion column submitted by Stewart McLean, from Kingston, Ontario to The Kingston Whig-Standard.

Being a snowplow contractor, I am writing to congratulate all snowplow operators. No one knows what it is like to plow snow unless they have done it.

All I hear are complaints about the city cleanups. Can Kingstonians not see how much snow is on the streets after almost every storm this winter? And storms came every second day from mid-November until mid-March. Try plowing during 12-hour shifts every second night for weeks.

The last storm lasted 36 hours and brought 40 to 45 centimetres of snow and freezing rain. The plows have to go up and down narrow streets with care because of the parked cars (why they aren't towed is beyond me).

We had large snowfalls countless times this winter, and people think the streets and sidewalks should be cleared by the next day. My answer is, get a shovel if you are in such a hurry.

This winter wore the help to a frazzle. It caused havoc to the machinery. I think city employees should be given a medal for the work they did this winter. They went above and beyond the call of duty. If you don't think so, ride with them for a night and it won't take you long to find out.

As for private plowing companies, my heart goes out to them, as I am a private contractor myself. I spent 30 to 35 hours straight in the truck more than once this winter, only to go home for four or five hours and than get back out again. Then some guy bangs on the hood of my truck and proceeds to call me everything but pretty, yelling about where I'm putting the snow (which is on my customer's curb). And I find out that the guy doesn't even live in the neighbourhood. We're out in the blowing snow and freezing rain, trying to look all ways at once because people walk right behind the truck. It's dark, and our worst fear is backing over someone. The amber light on the truck is disregarded, and no one stops and lets me back up. Usually drivers go right behind me, blowing the horn all the way down the street. Sometimes the snow is so heavy that without momentum it can't even be pushed. It takes many tries because of the traffic.

I have found that Kingston has many inconsiderate and ignorant drivers. The blue or amber lights are supposed to warn drivers that snowplows are working vehicles, and yet no one yields for me. I have watched cars go behind the large city plows, too.

This city never sleeps. Even at 4 a.m. during the worst storms there are people walking and driving behind the truck. The stress is immense and it takes its toll on your nerves - and your body, too. You get an aching neck and back from twisting to watch in all directions.

I would like to thank all the snowplow drivers for the wonderful job they have done this winter, considering it has been one of the worst winters in many years. I know too well the hours they put in and the insults they hear. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't plow myself. I'm going to do everything in my power not to do it again.

Not only because of the stress. Try footing the bills for all the repairs. In my case, the repairs were a new transmission and rear end, new tires and a new battery and alternator.

Did I make any money this year? I have one truck and the city has how many? The cost is staggering. And for many of us, snowplowing is our livelihood, not a chance to play in the snow.

Thursday, March 27, 2008
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Amen brother....AMEN
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Don't you wish more people thought like this?
  4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

thats a great article. thanks grandview
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Don't many plowsite members feel this way? I wish more of the public felt this way! I'm sure that's what you meant too

KINNCO Senior Member

Possibly 2008 post of the year G.V. :drinkup:
  7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Amen is right!

I wonder how society would react if a serious snow event was not plowed for once. Like a one event strike. We'd be all over the news, maybe even some respect for a week or two. But, society is ultimately made up of individuals who are all about themselves. Can't be bothered for 10 seconds or event 2 seconds while the plow moves a safe path.
  8. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Lots of snow contractors plow for 17 + hours, & people wonder why operators are sooo grumpy when they get ridiculous complaints. :realmad::realmad: :p
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If we didn't plow, it would come down to us being lazy, people would die because they couldn't get to the hospitals, etc. everything would be our faults. You wouldn't teach anyone anything, it would just give them another reason to hate us.

You wanna know how the general public views us? Take a look at that animated video clip 'The Snow Plow Man', THAT my friend is what they think we all are.... lazy, overpaid, beerswilling smokers who head out to 'accidentally' hit their cars etc.
  10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah ... agreed.

My day job is far removed from plowing - many are very surprised when I tell them I plow. There are idiots in all professions but, service industries typically carry more baggage. It's really a shame.
  11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Amen to that article....thanks GV:drinkup:
  12. Blues Man

Blues Man Junior Member
    from SE Mich

Great article.
  13. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

i think they were referring to us tri-state plowers there :Dit doesnt snow in buffalo:dizzy::drinkup:
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The only snow Nick sees is in a "snow cone"!
  15. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

That snow cone melted a while ago!:rolleyes:
  16. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

awesome article grandview