1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Have You INJURED So Far This Year?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIAWPUKEK, Mar 9, 2005.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I saw a post about what have you "broken" so far this year, how about "what have you injured so far this year" while plowing?

If I had to call the on-call nurse in our community everytime I 'hurt' myself, they'd be able to retire within the next 5 years!

1. Slid under truck while getting out and bust my head off the ice.
    2. Banged my thumb on the plow and ripped my thumbnail half off.
    3. Cracked my shin on the Hidden Hitch sticking off the back of my truck.
    4. Had the plow drop onto my foot (luckily I was wearing steel toe boots).
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I've slipped a couple of times on glare ice (while setting up my salt) but have always managed to grab the side of the truck. I'd say the most I've done is strain my back a little heaving the 40kg (88lbs) bags of salt, but I took an aspirin and kept at 'er..... :p
  3. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I would say my Back as well.Been a few times where i grab the bags the wrong way and feel it the next day...
  4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

my thumb hurts after reading about you ripping nail off. THANKS!
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have one drive that is a hill, I plow and salt/sand it. The angle of it is such that the plow is all the way down and misses the pavement for about 3 feet at the top (the absolutly worst place too, just where you need the traction to get up it). I normally have to glide the shovel over it after plowing before sand/salt just to make things more effecient. Well, I can't count the number of times I have slipped and ridden to the bottom on my rear, with shovel or sand can in hand. I learned to park the truck in the street at the top of the drive rather than the bottom of it through experiance.
    Luckily bumps and bruises are the worst I have recieved from this, and that's the worst I have injured plowing. Lightly strain my back shoveling walks from time to time but I always stop before it's to the point I can't function.
  6. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

How did you manage to drop the plow onto you foot? :eek:
  7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Let me see i think i found the pavement four times this year always on ice and the wrong shoes, (I stopped wearing tennis shoes). But the one that sticks out the most is when i stepped out of my truck and proceeded to fall the rest of the way luckily the ground was there to stop me, do you think i could find anything to grab onto at the time. The worst part is that i was picking up a pallet of salt from my supplier
  8. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

Nothing this Year Yet ( Knock on Wood ) But 5 Yrs ago I tore the Tendon / Cartilage ? on My Knee.
  9. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

My house is near the woods and many critters come out through the snow. I saw a deer and a rabbit wipe out and fall on their asses in the same area I did, glare ice covered by an inch of lite snow. I guess I have the same IQ as a deer or rabbit LOL.
  10. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

bruised my tailbone in Nov. so much ice. no snow this year but plenty of ice. :confused: :confused:
  11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Caught a corner of a driveway when doing a private drive and ate my steering wheel on my tractor. OUCH!!!! (also bent the plow in the process)
  12. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

That had to put you on the shelf for awhile... :eek:
  13. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 Member

Just this past week I tore some stuff in my left shoulder and popped it out of the socket. The crappy part, I wasn't getting paid while doing it. I was playing ice hockey and took a nasty hit. The doctor said I'm in a sling for a few weeks. Looks like plowing might be tricky. To top it off, I broke my collarbone on the same side at the end of last summer. Damn this shoulder. :realmad:
  14. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

i did this a few times too. i also hit my head on the windshield of the tractor when i nailed the man hole cover in the street right in front of my house.
  15. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Slapshot Mike: I used to play in men's league and as I got older the league became too aggressive for me considering I am self employed.

I switched to a mixed league, (women are 50% of the players). No problems with cheap shots or tough guys being stupid. 3 periods of fun and a great workout. Play seldom stops. Good luck.