1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What have you broke so far this season...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I haven't broken anything major this year...yet. (Knock on wood)

So far I've cracked the plastic rail on top of the tailgate (Chevy) and put a little ding on the very top rear corner of the box...hit the same little tree twice on two seperate plowings... :eek:

Then I cracked the housing of my driver side mirror as I was backing into my shop...watching my other mirror when I caught it on the door jamb. :angry: Fixed that with some JB weld though.

My first time out this season I hit a rock frozen in the ground in my own driveway and took a 3" chunk out my brand new Blizzard cutting edge...my fault as I was going too fast.

When it was -28 out a customer (caretakers of an estate) called and wanted me to clear the estate as owners were coming up for Christmas...plow was froze up on me. Parked truck & plow in the shop for few hours and was good to go. Next day went to open my rear door (ext. cab) and the plastic handle broke because mechanism had froze up... :angry:

Broke my bug shield, don't know when it happened nor how. Suspect a chunk of snow flew over the plow as I pushed into a pile and broke it.

That's it so far...hopefully I can escape the rest of winter unscathed. Hard to figure out, I'm easy on my equipment. I don't like banging & ram-roding around but I still managed to break some stuff. Anyone else busting stuff up?

Buck

2. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

Why are you trying to jinx me?!?!? :eek:

3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I hate to admit it, but I did a pretty dumb one.

Hooked up the plow and forgot to raise the kickstand. Yep, bent that sucker like all get out. :rolleyes:
    The only good thing is that it is easily replaced and didn't damage anything else. Just made me mad because it was such a dumb thing to do. Other than that, everything's holding strong so far.

4. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I put a small 2" nick on one of my customers garage doors. I pulled up to back-drag...dropped the blade and immediately I knew I nicked the door...SH*T! :( I told the customer immediately, she was real nice about it. I will make the arrangements to get it fixed.

5. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

I hit a curb too hard and had a hose blow out; a 1/2 hour after starting plowing.

6. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I crashed the other night when a Durango just decided he was going to stop at the bottom of a hill for no reason. I wasn't going fast, but when I applied the brakes I started to slide on the ice covered road. I could have taken him out (should have!) but dropped the plow, hopped the curb, bushwacked a bit and hit a tree hard with the plow. I was able to get the truck out, but the Durango drove off! Broke the lift chain and racked the A-frame. Ordered the new parts the next day, got them yesterday and all is well again today after I stripped it all down and got it all rebuilt.

7. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

Well glad im not the only one who was made little mistakes...

1.Took large oak tree ripped off drivers side heated mirror. :eek:

2. While backdragging away from a garage hooked a gutter spout and ripped a pretty good section of gutter off. :dizzy:

I guess thats it -it could be worse..biggest thing i have learned is just SLOW down and take your time. :nod:

8. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

First one: At the end of my accounts, backing back into driveway to push out, hit a patch of ice and slid about a foot into the garage door.. Worked for free that day.

Second one: Half way through my acounts on a nother push, the main wire lead from solenoid to main pump broke off at connector, prolly from record low cold streaks and a poor bend in the wire.

9. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

BUCK

Now you know for us southern guys that it is hard to break something on our plows when we have not even seen a 1/4 of accumulation down here.
    But hopefully I can keep it that way, but I seriously doubt that. Only time will tell.

Justin :nod:

10. z_plow_master

z_plow_master Member

not much

transmission, downpressure valve,craked the polycarbonated plastic sheet and the illunmination moduale is dying.other than that life is easy :)

11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Justin, I hope you have the chance to get out there and break something soon!! That plow is an expensive paper weight! :D

Buck

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Took off a customers paper box twice in a row :D thy even moved the second time and I still got it!!! we'll see what happens in the morning if it's strike 3 or not. third time is a charm....
    Two plow springs,
    one garbage can
    residential ,,, boy, am I glade I only have 9 of them, every thing else is commercial..

13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't broken a dame thing, sole do to the fact we haven't had any SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But knock on wood. Its coming this week.

14. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i have broke off the damn western think snow markers a half dozen times now. weld them on and then they seem to break somewhere else.....

bent the lynch pins on my plow shoes when i went to pick the plow up. truck squatted but plow didn't come off ground.

15. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Well just 3 days ago, the pump motor went out on our Boss plow, which in turn took out the Alt. on the ford diesel and the main power cables on the plow harness. Operator kept running until everything went dead. Total cost $595. Not too bad for first plow parts or alt in 6 seasons on this particular plow truck. 2 flat tires on the backhoe. Cost $15.

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

So far...

Broke a wire on the electric fuel pump... used jumper wires and got thru the day, fixed it the next morning.

A couple lenses and bulbs on the trailer (towing in 6" snow sucks in close quarters)

Oh and the tack weld that holds the pin in my ramp.

And a rut in the grass of a non-customer that I said I would fix. I'm knocking on wood, I figure I'm doing pretty good!

17. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Backed into the corner of a building (fire station) while cleaning what the loader missed in front of the bay doors. No damage to the building - new dent on right side of rear bumper. Same corner I punched through the front of my Dad's garage last year.

Backed over one of my fiberglass driveway markers with the blade. Through the little red reflector about 25'.

Pulled the jack release with the plow pins pulled. Didn't hurt anything - plow light hit the operator in the head - so no damage done.

18. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Broken

I had to replace the pump motor and wiring harness on the truck end before the season started. I cracked my windshield with phone, and water pump went out.

Just went and bought a new truck. Was thinking it was the motor finally.

Maybe i won't have to switch plows over tonight if itll run another snow or two?

Jeff

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Damn, lotsa items here...

Well, before the snow one of my trans cooling lines rusted through and started spraying everything (and I mean everything- my truck, the cars behind me on the road, the cars next to me on the road, etc)- didn;t notice for 2 days- $700+ repairs and 4 weeks later...

Piece in the tranny broke (pressure valve retainer) popped fuses, replaced fuses and low and behold the broken retainer happened to come to rest on the main power lead for the lockup and OD soloniod in the tranny shorting them- causing a small fire in the harness. Insurance CO d!ck3d me around for weeks- temporary repair 3 plus weeks later cost $700+- still needs main wiring harness replaced which is $1600 cost (plus labor) and it's a Detroit part (takes 4 weeks to get).
    Last storm my Alternator died- after 1st customer. Cost me $200.

I have Almost recovered my costs to date with the storms- kinda nervious for the next snow.

20. Country Manor

Country Manor Junior Member

Just my bank accounts :cry: Maybe it will snow someday payup
    :gunsfiring: All Weathermen