1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What happens when you go in the ditch

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bmorwood, Dec 25, 2006.

1. bmorwood

bmorwood Junior Member

here is what happens when you drive off the road to avoid 2 deer. It will come back from the ashes and be as good as new before the next snowfall. I hope.

turck accident001.jpg

2. markzrt1

markzrt1 Junior Member

shoulda hit the deer

3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Hit the DAMN deer. Atleast you'll have something to munch on while you wait for a month for it to be fixed.:realmad:

4. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Hit the deer! Next time

5. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Hit the deer. Food to eat while waiting on the body shop to come back from vacation!!!!!

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

is your insurance going to cover the damage?

7. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

I agree. Blast that SOB! :gunsfiring:

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yeah really! Probably would have done less damage!

OUCH!:dizzy:

9. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

What crunched the truck? A dirt mound or a tree stump? Didn't look that was coused from hitting something flat.

P.S.-He said there was two deer, depending on how fast he was going, they might have totalled the truck.

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

if they total the truck i want the tailgate...i need a silver one

11. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

WOW that truck looks totaled....If it is not and the repair is as expensive as it looks the title will be marked for life..

12. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Yikes looks bad. Seem alot of truck looking the same (1 corner smashed) go to auction around here. With the front diff pushed back into the cab they may say it's finished. Hows the frame?

13. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

When you have the option, hit the deer. It goes under your comp deductible,,, If you swerve to miss and hit a tree,,, it goes on your collision deductible,,, Cheaper to you if you hit the deer,, and that is an easy thing to SAY,,, but Everyone of you guys,, by instinct would of swerved and done what this guy did,,,, Force of habit and nature,,
    You can say otherwise,, but after 20 years + in the Auto body Biz i know better:waving: So stop busting this guys balls,,, Ha ha ha ha,, if you look at the pic,, and see how the door molding and the cab rear molding are not aligned,, the door pillar is pushed back some,, the frame is probably fine, maybe up a little at the front end,, but all that wheel damage, looks bad,, it is all the suspension that is damaged, and a easy fix most vehicles will be totaled if the damage is exceeding 80% of the vehicle value. what year and how many miles? I would bet my Dec's worth of Plowing money that this truck will be fixed. and also that it wont be done till about the 23 of January!

Any Takers? LOL

Oh yeah,,, MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS HAPPY PLOWING! =)

14. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

This is just my two cents. TOTALED! If they don't total it they should have, they are never the same after they have been wreacked and you fix them.

15. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

thats a crappy way to bring in xmas. Deer are seen daily around here. I've seen tons of vehicles off the road to avoid a deer and wind up hitting a tree or a rock wall. I've had my close calls with them as well. I will slow down if necessary (provided conditions are good, and I'm not towing a trailer). but I will never swerve around them.

Good luck with the truck :salute:

16. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I have to ask, is it a CTD or a Hemi?

17. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

They will most likely fix it. They will make sure its 79.99999995% of the value just so they don't have to shell out for a new one. Pay all that money in insurance and you get screwed. Not always but most. It will still take a while to get it back though, atleast a month.

18. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

My instinct is to hit the brakes, not swerve. I had the same thing the other night, got the truck stopped 20 feet short of the biggest damn buck I have seen in years. Afterward I thought about it, I should have hit the gas instead, at least I'd have some meat in the freezer. I never seen one all hunting season.

19. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

And its customers like you that i hope don't come to my shop,,,for gods sake they have the technology to fix almost any thing,,, If you have had a wreck and you car was never the same,,, then it wasn't fixed right! Any good body man can make these repairs and it will be good as new. If some dipchit fixes it,, you right it will never be the same again,,,

It's the customers with that attitude I dislike,,, Cause you can never make them happy!!!
    NEVER!

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto, I've seen numerous deer and had a couple close calls, never once have I swerved.

Always, always hit the deer, because a deer might total the vehicle, but it won't be as bad as a tree potentially killing you or a passenger. Comes from seeing a 16 YO girl dead after swerving to miss a dog and taking a tree head on. Same goes if somebody's in my lane or pulling out in front of me. I am not swerving, I will take my chances and live with the consequences.