1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What happens when a DOT truck hits a pothole?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by grandview, Feb 14, 2011.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Couple of weeks ago ,and down the street from me.

dot truck flipped over.jpg
  2. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

must of been one hell of a pothole:cry:
  3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Pothole 1, DOT truck 0.
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

WOW ! Is the driver ok that looks painful.
  5. grandview

He's ok. they have to wear seat belts at all times and there is only one guy in those trucks now. The water company had fixed a leak the day before and put cold patch down.The tire hit the patch and made the wing tower hook the hole and flipped.
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

WOW! :eek: I mite think about wearing my seat belt next time I go with my uncle in the Ford L9000. Do you know how fast he was going?
  7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Truck looks like my dog when he wants a belly scratch. Is that a Fluid Film sticker on the frame rail?
  8. grandview

It's only a 30mph zone.I think he was the last truck in line.They usually go 3 wide in that part because it's 3 lanes both ways.
  9. mercer_me

He must of had a full load of salt or sand on to right?
  10. grandview

Yes, full I think 20 tons?
  11. mercer_me

I'm asuming he had 6 to 8 yards on but, I'm not sure how much that weighs.
  12. grandview

My mistake. Found a another picture of it.

13. Bmxdkj

Bmxdkj Member

Looks like that was that sanders first load of sand..
  14. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

"you must be this tall to ride this ride!" :laughing:
  15. gagesllc

gagesllc Junior Member

"you must be this tall to ride this ride!"

Thats funny

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Wow. That's crazy. Haven't seen anything like that happen around here. Although the water dept dug up part of a street this past summer and then just back filled it and put gravel down for temp because it was 4 pm and they have to go home for the night. Well about 6pm it decided to down poured and cars were driving across it. Well one suv went thru is and got stuck. It was probably about a foot deep. You could see all the gravel around his car on the road. He wasn't getting out without help.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  17. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Good old County repair !!!!!
  18. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

there are a few side roads that I have residentials on that the frost heave has wreaked havoc on the patches. its like going 30mph down a street that has speed bumps spaced every 10'. i watched a muni s/a truck come down this street w/ his plow up b/c he was salting, each bump that plow slammed down to the ground. i get soo angry driving down those streets i'd punch a baby...
  19. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

What's the issue? It's obviously an older International that was probably just very tired and decided to lay down and take a nap! Isn't that what most seasoned muni workers do when they're tired?:D

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

That's what they do around here. A news station followed the Minneapolis road crews around this summer and caught them taking breaks all the time and 2-3 hour lunches. They only averaged 3-4hrs of work a day. Explains why the roads are as good as they are:dizzy: