1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to my salt pile?????????????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by augerandblade, Jan 21, 2009.

1. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I have two piles of salt coarse highway bulk in storage. One pile is white in color with a blue tinge to it in places. The other I took delivery in late Fall 08 is dirty brown in colour and not as coarse as the other. Both were supplied by the same firm. However the dirty pile has turned hard and the white pile (the type of salt I had got for the last 11 years is still loose. Did I get crap salt?????????????????????????????????

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You got some wet salt, happens sometimes.

3. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

So how would you fix a frozen salt pile? ...besides taking torches to it! I know if salt freezes in a V-box, you can add winshield fluid to it, but a large pile..? :confused:

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya, my salt is frozen right now as well. I have 20 yards sitting in a sea box that is frozen solid. I was doing good untill we had the -16 degree weather... I've only needed to fill my V box twice since the pile froze, and when I did that I just broke some up with the forks and then loaded it with the bucket..

5. augerandblade

I mostly use it for walks, haul it out in 5 gal pails, I just have to scrape down the pile to get the loose stuff a t the bottom. When I initially got the load of salt as it was conveyed out of the trailer I noticed that it had a tan colour to it. I thought well maybe it a new formula with a different additive to the salt I will give it a try. But now Im thinking that I was the lucky one to get the scraping of the floor or dock. I will make sure that Canada Salt knows about it this year when I put in my order

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No offense but Canadian will care less about the little guy. Cre we just pull the salt out and drive over it and then load it.

7. augerandblade

Thanks for the info.:salute:

8. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

Did you buy directly from Canadian Rock Salt or a broker?

It honestly sounds as if you were sold the rock salt by-product from one of the deep potash mines in canada.

The no-cake solution always changes the rock salt to a blue tinge when it is sprayed on the rock salt prior to stacking it.

If they did sell you a load of rock salt which is always a potash by product they probably did not spray it with no cake to keep it free flowing.

9. augerandblade

I believe I got it from a company called Canada Salt. I just create all the debt here my wife pays the bills. Price wise is the potash by product usally cheaper than the rock salt and thanks for the info on the no-cake solutiontymusicussmileyflag

10. leon

leon Senior Member

rock salt

The potash which is fertilizer is much more expensive than rock salt.

leon