1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to IceBan?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Akehurst, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Brian Akehurst

Brian Akehurst Junior Member

I heard through the grape vine Ice Ban is loosing some of its distributors. Anyone know whats going on?

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

not sure but they could do a better job of picking who they do use

i wanted to try some sort of liquid on my salt for a few years now and most magic dealers where too far to ship economically

got a call from a local construction fabric company selling ice ban and i said yes when can i pick it up!!

they did not even have product to sell and did not know how much or how long till they did

in short i did buy some from them......only because i am desperate to try some out

they where not educated about their product while be difficult to work with

only had a small chance to use some but have no feedback to give yet
  3. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I just heard the same thing. Anymore info?
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I just picked up a yard of Ice Ban treated salt this am along with a 5 gal bucket of liquid. Looking forward to the expected ice storm tonight and tomorrow to see how well it works under MY real-world conditions...
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Did you get it from Russo Bro's Bill?
    We just recieved 24 ton magic salt for 55.00 a yard delivered from them. Seems with the mild winter, they have alot of extra.
  6. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

We have had good luck with Ice Ban

I sell Ice Ban in Connecticut, as Bill can attest to. I haven't kept any treated salt in bulk around, because it is difficult to mix and store when you are not turning product over very quickly. Needless to say, we needed water ban, not Ice Ban this morning. As a new distributor for them, I have found that they are trying to market the product fairly well, and quite honestly, without much winter to speak of in some places where it is available, I don't think it is fair to judge.

We used the Ice Ban liquid out of a 200 gallon sprayer as a pre-treatment when we did get some snow a couple of weeks ago, and it worked as expected, keeping the ice/snow from bonding to the pavement. Again, if we were getting constant winter storms or cold weather, you might see happier and better equipped suppliers.

It was so warm here at the beginning of the week we screened a couple thousand yards of loam and compost. I'd be glad to sell the ice ban, or treat a huge stockpile of salt, but not for 55/yard - finished product. That would cost me money. But, speaking for myself, I don't intend to jump off of the (distributor)ship because of seasonal weather conditions. Maybe some others just couldn't justify the investment or store the product for the off season.
  7. thelawnguy

I wouldnt buy jack from those guys. What they sell as screened loam is nothing more than river silt.

That is a great price for Magic, if it is indeed what they say it is, treated at the proper ratio but based on their track record with myself and others I would be suspect.

I picked up a yard of ice ban treated salt from SLS along with a 5 gal pail of liquid. This am, in anticipation of an ice event I pre-treated an area with approx 200 lb ice ban treated salt and an adjacent area with straight salt to gage the difference. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) the temps remained a few degrees above freezing so I most likely will have to repeat come Sunday night in advance of that predicted system.

One thing I noticed about the ice ban salt, a considerable amount of liquid precipitated out of the salt and ran out the truck and now coats my driveway (maybe a couple quarts total?) wonder if thats normal action or was this load treated especially heavy? Also the liquid flows quite readily from a Solo sprayer at 33F as I found out treating north exposure stairwells this am. Im sure the higher viscosity magic as I observed in Poughkeepsie in 70F weather in October would not flow as well through the sprayer for direct concrete treatment.
  8. Brian Akehurst

Magic - 0 will spray through a lesco sprayer, you do need to remove the strainer, after that it works fine. On your Ice Ban treated material leaking, when you picked it up do you know how long it had been treated. If it was treated right before you got there they may have overdone the treatment process making it wet. Or they may have blended the Ice Ban with wet rock salt. Both over treating and wet salt will create soup. Also with any treated salt, you need to keep it covered. You can't let it get wet because the water will start to activated the chemical the salt is treated with.

Just my 2 cents,
  9. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

I treated it right then and there

As I mentioned we don't keep too much bulk treated around, so I treated it right there and then loaded it. The process is a little archaic, so I'm sure it was a little run off of the Ice Ban. We have a slightly different process when we package the stuff. I spray it inside on an old bed liner, let it sit, then fill pails with 50#. I noticed it sets up nicely when it sits inside and sort of drains/dries off. Same is true with magic. Last year we sold Magic, and it was a mess when we were spraying it in our bulk bin. It seemed to run if you didn't mix it fast enough. Containerized over time it stayed fairly dry. If demand goes up we have a better treatment plan and the ability to bag the product on a moment's notice. I'm not counting on this year. That is for sure.
  10. thelawnguy

Treated it while I was there. Dry salt, and I tarped it before leaving the yard.
  11. Brian Akehurst

Are you still a distributor? I still have not heard all the ins and outs of what is happened with the distributors. I did here something about all rights were given to Scott's. Any input, just courious.
  12. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

If you are so interested in what is going on with Natural Solutions feel free to give them a call at 1-888-423-2261.

Thank You
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We actually bought through IMUS, but just picked it up at Russo's yard.
  14. soilmover

soilmover Member

I heard the same thing at a local plow dealers shop,

about Ice-ban dropping their distributors.

Let me know what you hear. Maybe they only want to sell to

Home Depo type stores??? And get out of contractor sales????

Let me know soilmover
  15. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I happened across this thread, and was curious so I went to the natural solutions website. What I gethered from the site is that it looks like they entered into an exclusive arrangement with another company to be the exclusive distribuotrs of the product. Maybe that's why they have dropped some of the distributors. I don't know, just poking around the web.
  16. OriginalSnowman

OriginalSnowman Junior Member

I think you are going to see a lot of companies that sell only deicing products in trouble. Companies that rely on winter didn't have a lot to rely on this year. We have now officially done it: we've experienced the warmest, driest, winter ever recorded in New England.

This will be a long summer and an even longer fall since everyone is carrying over a lot of product from the winter that wasn't.

Natural solutions website gives you links to their financial data so you can see for yourself. I know that the pile of rock salt that was put in Chelsea last fall is still there and this time last year they were scraping up crumbs and selling them waiting for the next ship to come. This year, I don't think I've seen one ship discharge bulk salt since the fall. Hard to run a business on one order a year!