1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What happend?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Vaughn Schultz, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

1996 F-250 7.3 PSD

Okay not sure what happened or what the parts are here. One of my guys were out plowing and then "truck broke" well today this is what I found. Looks like the thing broke off. Any ideas ?

Borke 1.JPG

2. Vaughn Schultz

Looks like is cracked

Broke 2.JPG

3. Vaughn Schultz

4. Vaughn Schultz

5. Vaughn Schultz

Its going to snow tonight, i need to fix this :confused: Any help ?

Respectfully,
    - Eric

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This doesn't help your problem, but I fixed that last photo so you can see it now...

Picture 348.jpg

7. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

Looks like an EGR Valve to me.

8. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Looks Like serpentine belt tensioner. You can get a new one at the parts store and don't forget the belt. Good Luck!:yow!:

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Grass, That is you vacuum pump. Diesel engine's don't make any vacuum to operate things like the power brake's and your vacuum controls for your heat/A/C. So Ford just used a belt driven pump to supply the necessary vacuum. Just ask for a "vacuum pump" at your local parts store and you'll be good to go. Should cost about $100-$130. Note though, their is a core charge on these pump's and I doubt they'll accept yours for a core since it's broke so be prepared to pay any core charges.

10. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Core charge? Looks like a welder would come in handy to solve that cost. :)

11. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

No offense meant to anybody. It is very funny to see what people who don't know diesels will guess at what a diesel part is.:D All reasonable guesses based on the surrounding parts or the shape of the broken part.
    Note on replacing that vacuum pump. There are three bolts that hold it on, they are behind the pulley. You will most likely need to swap the pulley over to the new pump. Before installing the old pulley on the new pump insert the bolts into their respective bolt holes. One of the three will not go in after the pulley is installed. Its only about a 1/2 hour job to r/r the pump working nice and easy. And before anybody starts saying Ford had a dumb idea using a vacuum pump, they are not the only ones using them. My Cummins has one as well.

12. Vaughn Schultz

Thanks for the help :salute: I replaced the pump and it works great :drinkup:

13. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

:D :D :D glad it went well :nod: