1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What hand do you use to.............

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Nov 12, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Just curious as to what hand you use to shift - steer - and operate your plow with.

Joel B.
  2. fordhipo

fordhipo Junior Member

Right hand to steer and shift, Left hand to run Boss hand held controller (saves me from trying to rip of the blinker handle thinking I'm shifting):eek:
  3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Steer with my right hand operate plow with my left.Work sander with my toes :rolleyes:
  4. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

left hand steers... right hand takes care of slick stick work, stick shift.. and stereo adjustments...:D
  5. Dan725

Dan725 Junior Member

I also use my left hand to steer and right to shift and for the plow controls
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Left hand to steer, right hand to shift, joystick, stereo, cell phone etc.:waving:
  7. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Left hand to steer, right hand to shift and hold fishstick.
  8. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Left to steer...right to hold coffee, cell phone etc. The navigator in the right seat runs the plow control and Radar. Nav also has to run GPS system / salter / map drive / laptop and keep my coffee fresh and full. Hey :drinkup: kids are a wonderful thing to raise. A good parent raises them with the future in mind :D
  9. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

left hand for operating speedcast controls, right hand for steering, shifting, etc...
  10. Mac

Mac Member

Left for steering
    I use my right hand to shift, run plow, and everything else
  11. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Left to control the blades.Right to steer, shift, and pick my nose:nod:
  12. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

left for the plow, right for the stick shift, and which ever is free at the moment for steering... sometimes thats where a knee may come in handy :p
  13. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

ok,right hand to work the controls,left hand to steer or left knee to steer and left hand to work phone:dizzy:
  14. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Left to steer, right to operate plow, radio, and slap boyfriend.
  15. jlag

jlag Junior Member

I have trucks set up both ways. I find the truck with the plow control on the left OK if I am just using mirrors when backing. The truck with the control on the right is preferred when looking out the rear window backing, as I use my left hand on the wheel and right on the control (less neck strain then right on wheel and left on control). I find it easier to angle the blade for the next run while backing and looking out the rear window with the control on the right. I have the control set up so one motion of my right hand puts the truck in drive and then drops the plow. It may depend on how your brain is wired as well. I thought left was the way to go for plow controls untill I tried right and now I am sold on right hand controls.
  16. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Right hand runs the plow control and shifts, both hands steer (manual steering gets stiff in the cold). I am trying to think up a way to run the cable controls on my western with my left foot. Any idea's? I have a plan but need to try it out.
  17. smwmarc

smwmarc Junior Member
    from Maine

to... oh! ok! we are still on topic. Whew!

Left hand runs plow controls and very occasional steering (usually steer with left driving from place to place). Right hand does all the rest. Pretty handily too since shift lever for auto trans is right there next to the wheel. Just keep my thumb on the wheel and reach to shift with last two fingers.

I am right there with you guys, but it seems that we are out numbered.

Some pretty funny stuff!

Got Snow
    Little Jay