1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What grade of bolts?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Banksy, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What grade are the bolts from Fisher that bolt the mount to the truck? Grade 5 or 8? I'm just going to get some bolts from Tractor Supply and tac weld on handles to make install easier.
    Should I use any other washers than the standard lock washer or no washers and a nyloc-nut? What's the preffered combo? Thanks.
  2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

not sure about the washers, but mount bolts are usually grade 5, that way they sheer before you cause any frame damage. I would probably go with the nyloc's .
  3. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

A couple 3/4" grade 5 bolts will still cause other carnage before shearing. What I have seen in the past is that the grade 5 bolts over time can wear out and become eggshaped causing slop in the frame. I have also seen them bend. I use all Grade 8 hardened with washers and Nylocks when it comes to these type of applications.
  4. I just put a boss mount on my truck and SOME were grade 5 and SOME were grade 8. You should probably call fisher or check their website!
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Fisher doesn't seem to specify what grade on their site. They show torque specs for 5 and 8, but the instructions don't say what to use when bolting the mount on. I'll try to call Fisher.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just use grade 8 if your worried about it, the price diff is minimal. I would use flats and lock nuts but that's just me.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Fishers site shows flat washers and locknuts. So that's what I'll use. Thanks.
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

From what i can tell the stock bumper bracket bolts get reused to help hold the mount on. Then I have 3 more holes that need to be drilled and bolted. So, maybe 3 grad 8's would do the trick.
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Fisher specs grade 5, i used grade 8's on my plow rebuild, ALL plowside hardware was under $8 bucks, there isn't much on the plowside! Grade 8s are sold at $3.83 a pound at TSC near me

Truckside will be a bit more as there are A LOT of bolts on the mounts! :)

JRKRACE Senior Member

I just got a new bolt kit from Fisher (28.00) and they were all Grade 5...
  11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I saw that Fishers bolt kit used grade 5, so that's what I went with. Thanks.
  12. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I use grade 8 on all of that stuff. just my preference tho
  13. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I just bought all grade 8 for mine. Don't know if it will really cause a problem. I bought used mounts of ebay, then got the installation guide off fisher site. It called for grade 5. If I hit something hard enough to shear the grade 5, I figure I 'll have bigger problems than bending the frame.
  14. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

i used all grade 8 to mount the plates to the frame of the truck. working at a hardware store has its advantages for availability to fix stuff :)
  15. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

Is there somewhere I can order the fisher hardware? Just picked up a set of used 7169's and need the hardware
  16. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Last mounts I put on were all grade 5 bolts. I also got a "kit" from a local Fisher parts dealer. Grade 8 would be fine though. If you're snapping grade 5 or grade 8 bolts on the push plates, you have bigger issues than selecting the wrong bolt type..............
    FYI- I loctited and double nutted mine to make sure they didn't come loose.
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Double nuts are the way to go. Nylock is not suitable here IMO, except when used as a lock nut behind a properly torqued standard nut.

"I routinely apply the maximum allowable torqueage....."
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  18. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

I use 8s not sure why other than I prefer overkill than wear out. If I hit something and my bolts are too strong then Im an idiot but yet to see that prob. I would use washer, lock washer and double nut. I have issues. I dont like lock nuts for these apps.