1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What grade of bolts to attach plow frame to truck frame?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by W250CTD, Dec 8, 2008.

1. W250CTD

W250CTD Junior Member

Looking over instructions for many frames, grade 5 bolts are mostly used. Is there any reason to use grade five and not grade 8? Thanks
  2. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

Grade 5 hardware is cheaper. If you can afford it, no reason why you shouldn't go to grade 8. If not, grade 5 will suffice. Difference in price is worth saving the headache should something break or go wrong. Just my two cents. Good luck!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You hit something do you want the bolts to break or you plow frame bent. It's the same way for your cutting edge bolts ,you want them to break off.
  4. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

thats a good point...never thought of that...lol...learn something new everyday!! Better listen to that guy! lol :p
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Definately use grade 5. The instructions say that for a reason.
  6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Grade 8s are also more brittle which may be why they are not specified for use in the cold where shock/slamming loads are present frequently.
  7. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

Very good point...........
  8. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

My Blizzard plow came with Grade 8. There is much less difference in strength between 5 and 8 compared to the difference between 2 and 5. So 5's are probably fine, and cheaper.

Personally, I like to use 8's on most of my projects. If you break off Grade 5's, you are going to bend the frame anyway in most instances. It's a good thought, but I don't think it will hold true as there is not much difference in strength between 5 and 8.
  9. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I'd say this depends. I've broke metric 8.8's on my mount, with no damage to either mount or truck. Replacement upgrade to 10.8 IIRC.
  10. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

I put all grade 8 hardware on my push plates.
  11. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

12. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

I like that link Spitz, thanks.
  13. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

on a plow mount to the frame of your truck you want g5 bolts. the bolts are softer and will wear under use. a g8 bolt will not wear, but your truck frame will. ever see a mount that was all sloppy and the holes on the truck were worn out? g5 bolts will snap off under severe load( stacking/ramming) g8 bolts will trash your truck frame.
  14. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i asked this exact question to a dealer 2 weeks ago , for a western ultra... he said GRADE 5, because 8 could bend the frame...5 will shear off