1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What GOOD things have happened so far this season?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Okay, in another thread I asked what you guys/gals have broken on the plow rigs or things while plowing...seems a lot of us have had our share of mishaps and some guys have thanked me for that. :rolleyes:

So I need to turn this around and we need to hear about some of the good & positive things that have happened...maybe this will bring some "good" luck to some of us.

I'll start...

1. Was apprehensive about getting back into plowing due to lack of snow the past few years up here...well, I've been out enough times that the plow has paid for itself already.

2. Customer told me they have never had anyone that does such a thorough job. They never have to worry if their lot is going to be snowed in, and they know it will be done BEFORE they open the doors for the day.

3. Another customer told me this is the first winter he's never had to worry about whether or not his rental props are getting plowed or not. Said he knows they'll be done and he doesn't have to chase his plow guy around to find out when they'll be done.

4. My son wants to grow up and be a snowplow operator...not sure that's a real good thing but at least he's looking up to daddy.

5. Started the season with 5 accounts...now have 15 and another guy is begging me to take his driveway on. I probably will but don't want much more for now.

6. Anything I've broke on my truck has been very minor.

7. Haven't busted up anything on customers props yet.

8. Was worried if my 1/2 ton would handle the rigors of plowing...so far so good. Has performed great.

That's all I can think of for now, hopefully this will turn around some of the luck for you guys/gals. :)

2. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Plowing is a love/hate relationship :p I think the things that I enjoy about it...hmmm

1. Customers that come out at night and chat and appreciate the work I do.
    2. A night with no problems
    3. My two plowing friends that I talk to if I need help or just want to shoot the ****.
    4. long driveways that have a foot of powder
    5. people that pay the full amount and never call you the whole season and hire you back for the next
    6. My jeep is can be fun
    7. A bottle of Crown from a customer
    8. A gift certificate for booze
    9. The movie ALf from a customer (too bad it wasn't a cool action movie)
    10. home baked cookies (one time)
  3. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

A good snowy winter!
  4. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

up north.....

what 1/2 ton and plow combo ya have. any modifications? lights?

i know this is the wrong post for this questions.....i apologize in advance
  5. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Good things that have happened..... :confused:

It snowed ( 3 times & its not even close to over )

All my rowdie FRIENDS :drinkup:

I feel good !!! ( sing it people ) :D
  6. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Well, we had a freezing rain that covered my entire hill with a half inch thick sheet of ice. And since my road is a 22% grade, it wasn't safe to crawl, much less walk or drive! So I'm sitting there wondering how to get to work when I notice two guys with snow shovels full of sand walking up the road broadcasting sand by hand. It was the town highway department. Their truck was half a mile down the road. They'd take one shovelful at a time, spread it by hand, then walk back to their truck for another shovel. It was so slick that even with the sand, the truck was unable to follow them. So by the time I noticed them they still had a quarter mile to sand and were bone tired!

So I fired up the ATV and spent half an hour ferrying buckets of sand from the truck to them. And ever since then they have plowed out my mailbox, not left a huge mound of snow in the entrance to our driveway, and even left a load of sand for us to use in our driveway! Pretty cool!

7. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

Well , so far

1 I have not tore anything up on my truck or any properties

2 I hired a shovel man for my walks ( why didn't I think of this before )

3 My F250 Super Duty , Boss V combo is working better and better

4 I've plowed five times and it snowing right now

5 My back quit hurting , maybe that has something to do with # 2
  8. Up North

Up North Senior Member

2000 Chev Silverado and Blizzard 760LT. No mods yet, plan on putting Timbrens in, just haven't gotten around to it yet. No special lights other then the ECCO 5600 series rotating beacon. I wish I had a 3/4 ton, but can't do everything at once.

9. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Being back in the business after a few years out
    1. Meeting people in the business and making some new friends and business contacts.
    2. Since I got into the business a little late in the season I only have about 15 accounts, but I did land some very generous sub work. Thank you payup
    3. Mrs. W, a customer who regularly refills my travel mug.
    4. So far so good, haven't torn up anything ... yet ... oh this will surely come back to haunt me ... lol
    5. Those quiet late night plowing sessions :nod:
  10. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Good Things that have happend this season.

-I bought a plow for my ford.
    -It's installed and I've used it a few times this year already, missed the first couple snow falls because didn't have a plow.
  11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Best thing, up until this week.... 1" of snow. All winter in Minnesota.

Gotta love having contracts.
  12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

How the hell ya doing? Guessing your loving life with those contracts...gotta somehow get the folks up here to start using them. Going up to Red tomorrow for the evening then going up for the day/evening on Sat. They've had a tremendous day bite up there.