1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What goes wrong on a yard truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hosenfeffer, Nov 13, 2015.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

My 02 2500hd frame is getting a little scary in the rust and rot dept. considering parking on sight since my three lots are all next door just keeping it for that and replacing with a more economical daily,toy, cargo trailer hauler.
    What are the issues to deal with a truck that will not be my daily driver anymore? Assuming gas sitting and brakes rusting. Truck will be sitting outside unless rig some sort of roofing etc.
    Best MPG toy hauler for up to say 6K in weight? Estimate 5K local and two 3K round trips a year minimum. Budget 25K or less please. 4WD nice but not necessary. TIA Marty

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Yard trucks die a slow death (I guess all work trucks do though). No use is abuse for anything really. Calipers freeze up, gas goes bad, etc.

3. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

If you maintain and store the truck properly, replace parts as they fail you'll be ok but you'll still be subject to breakdowns.

4. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Sorry, specifically. 1) battery 2) brake, trans and fuel lines 3) body & frame 4) tranny on high mile trucks 5) electrical. As years go on and miles go up so do the headaches!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You have to fool the truck into thinking its still your daily driver and you can lessen the problems already mentioned.

6. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

Everything goes wrong. And it always happens during snow storms, or, right before a big snow storm.

IMHO - Don't waste your money on yard trucks.

I went thru 2, and for the money put into them, I could've just bought a decent plow truck, or financed one. Seriously, that's the truth.