1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what gets better MPG

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WOODY367, Dec 11, 2005.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I am looking in to a 2000 or newer F250. I know you can't compare the difference in power but what gets better MPG. The 5.8 or the 7.3 diesel? I have been told to go both ways. Haven't decide which to get. I am only planning right now. I would like to get one after this winter and retire my 81 F-250.
  2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

In 99 ford went to a 5.4 no more 5.8.I get 260-285 miles per tank in my 05 F350 5.4 5speed auto trans and 475-500 miles per tank in my 96 f350 powerstroke 4speed auto
  3. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Woody now lets think about this..:nono:..Diesel all the way! If you are pulling anything or plowing snow you will love the torque. The 7.3 is the way to go. Not the 6.0...stay away from that. You said it your self "you can't compare the difference in power"!!! My diesel F350 gets about 5-6 MPG better then my buddys 5.4 F250 gasser. Both X-cab long box.
  4. SnowUnlimited

SnowUnlimited Junior Member

I run a 99 F350 SRW Reg cap 4x4 7.3 Power stroke with 6 speed manual,373 gears.Plenty of power.
    Highway super P spreader.
    Get about 15 mpg plowing pushing 9" fisher X-blade,and sanding about 18 mpg.Most of the time with 2 yards of salt sand on don't even need 4 wheel.
    Empty during summer on open road about 24 mpg.
    Best thing I ever did was buy this truck.
  5. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Snowunlimited, how do you like that truck? I'm basically looking to get the same truck, year doesn't matter, but wondering how you like it. I am a standard tranny guy, and no one will talk me into plowing with an auto. So wondering how you like the 6 speed? I plow with tractors all night long, so I'm already clutching, so don't care if I have to do it in a truck. Anyways, like to hear more about your truck.
  6. SnowUnlimited

SnowUnlimited Junior Member

Love the truck,like I said best thing I ever did was to buy this truck.In the past I have had all different trucks chevy dodge and fords.But when I went back to ford and bought this super duty with the 7.3 and 6 speed man what a work horse.Know a lot of guys who will only plow with an auto trans and thay have constant headaches and high rebuild bills.One guy I know changes trans fluid and filter after every storm.
    Liked it so much I went out and bought same truck in 2000 model as well as 2 F550's in 2000 model as well with 7.3 and 6 speeds.All the guys who drive for me love them.It's a great setup,not saying that you can't set up another make truck the same way.
    Good luck in finding one,and when you do enjoy plowing.
  7. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

You are right about finding one, not many people seem to have reg cab 350's with a diesel, 6speed, and manual t-case. I have found a few, and had one picked out this spring, but just wasn't quite ready to buy, so had to let it go. I do look nearly everyday for them, and they can be had, but I may have to travel to find one. I have driven a few of them, driven a 99, 00, and an 02, and I liked the 02 the best, as it was everything I wanted, and seemed to have the greatest power. The 99 was a farm truck, so it was beat to death, but pulled many a grain wagons weighing in at nearly 50k on the scales at the co-op. Glad to hear from others who have the truck I am looking for, and good to hear first hand experience from you.
  8. Pat M

Pat M Member

And what is wrong with the 6.0 that wasn't wrong with the 7.3 when it was first introduced? I have an 03 F250 that started with 5 miles on it when I drove it off the dealer lot and has been good to me so far at 66,537 and also an 03 Excursion with the 6.0 that has 42K and change on that and it has been good. Yes there were some early production 6.0's that were junk but there are many more out there that are early productions like my F250 that have been good. I pull a 22' v nose snowmobile trailer with both vehicles as well as a 30' Gearbox that weighs in at 11K lbs with both vehicles and plow with my F250 and they are still running fine. As long as you do your everyday maintenance then I don't see what the big deal is? Every vehicle no matter if it is a first year production run or in its 4th year they will have problems. I have a 2002 E450 Class C motorhome with the trusty and reliable V10 as everyone tells me that blew the lower crank bearing with only 8K miles on that on a return trip from Lake Havasu City, Az. So as I see it I would take my 6.0 any day of the week
  9. BDB

BDB Senior Member

I know too many people that have had problems with the 6.0. Posts from this forum, other forums and a couple of diesel techs I know that say the 6.0 just isn't as reliable. The word on the street is that Ford has a new diesel for 2007. So whats that 3 years...the 7.3 was around for how long...about 10 years. Some people like yourself that have not had a problem, and hopefully you won't. But the ones who do seem to have a lot of trouble with them. I have 175,000 on my 99 7.3 and a cam sensor was all I have put in it. Thats 'par for the course' for the older sensors. I have a superchips and 4" exhaust. Pull a 24' V nose enclosed car/toy trailer and have pushed snow for 3 years. It's all what kind of luck you have I guess...
  10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the new diesel is going to be a redesigned 6.0, stroked to 6.4 and twin turboed.
  11. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

OK so I am going to go diesel. Now I have to decide what year 1999-2004 and start looking. I might wait till after winter.