1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what Gear?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoFarmer, Dec 6, 2007.

Whar gear do you plow in

1. 1st & high

2. 2nd & high

0 vote(s)
  3. D & high

4. 1st & low

5. 2nd & low

6. D & low

7. all the above

8. I don't know I just get in and drive!

0 vote(s)
  9. All thoes gears, I have no idea what to do?

0 vote(s)
  10. I use a shovel...

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What gear do you plow in?
  2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

"P" Park.

at least I wish, I've got a ton of schoolwork to get done as finals are next week but with all this dang snow I can't get anything done.

I plow in 4 high with tranny in D and the tow/haul shift activated.

3. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You need your study notes on tape so you can listen to them as you plow:waving:

good luck on your finals...
  4. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

D and 4High any thing else the fuel gauge moves the fastest, and i haven't had a problem with it yet
  5. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

The poll didn't offer choices for different areas of plowing. I use D and High in driveways and around houses/buildings. I use 2nd and High on gravel roads; hills on same I use 1st and high. I never had an need for low gear while plowing. I plow two houses, a farm/farmhouse and a three mile camp road. I don't let the snow accumulate; I plow every six inches or so so I don't have to break the road open. I do keep the trans in Tow/Haul mode for all of the above.
  6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

It does allow you vote for more than one.;)
  7. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

93' Dodge, Cummins, Auto, 3:53 gears, 235 85R 16, I plow in D (starts in first and will shift into 2nd) on the low side of the T- case. I push a big yard with it, and it works well for me. I might consider going to a 4:10 if I can find a deal on a set. My 01 Cummins has 3:54 but the 5600 6 speed and it works first or second gear on the high side of the T-case.