1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what gear

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hummerslawncare, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

what gear is better while plowing 0d D 2 or 1 thanks

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It should not trealy matter unless you are plowing at very high speed. Just go from reverse to the first forward detent on shifter when you are working a lot and you will be fine.

3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Do not plow with over drive. :nono: Make sure that you press that button and lock it out. :salute:
    It will kill :gunsfiring: your trany

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Unless you are in going way to fast you transmission will never even reach 3rd gear let alone overdrive. Maybe if you are in 4 low and going way to fast again, but I do not think you would have to worry about overdrive.

5. Tarkus

That a big DITTO! :waving:

6. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I used to plow with my '97 Chevy (4L80E w/4:10's) in second all the time, except if I was plowing roads then it was third, and the r.p.m.s were at about 2000-2500 so I knew I wasn't loading the torque converter as much as in third gear. I quickly learned if I put my '01 F-350 in second gear, it is ALWAYS in second, even from start. Try it. Put your Superduty in second and stand on the gas paying attention to the acceleration. Next put it in overdrive, drive, or first and stand on it, you should immediately feel the difference in acceleration because it starts in first gear. Plowing in second is working the heck out of the torque converter and will heat up the transmission oil in a hurry. I plow with the Ford in third (overdrive off).

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i lock out my overdrive my self its just habit just d sometimes i use 1 or 2 in ice for stopping purposes

8. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Just what I have always heard. I am young could be wrong. I just make sure that when i give advice it is not advice that could potentially hurt them more.
    & that would not.

Thank you for cross checking me. :nod: thats what this site is all about :salute:

9. Tarkus

If they still do it, Ford trannies started and stayed in second gear when selected back in the 60's and up until at least the early 90's (i never checked a newer one recently)

10. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

hes right, they start in second. its for low traction situations. you can start off better in really sick conditions in second than you can in 1st. 1st you'll just spin becuase you have a lot more torque goign to the wheels. the overdrive thing is a myth also, you'd have to be going fast enough to actually get 4 gear out of it. and that would be pretty quick unless you were plowing roads. then you might want to take it off.

11. Tarkus

I agree and if you are plowing that fast you need a specail high speed model not the garden variety.