1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What gear?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gagesllc, Jun 2, 2011.

1. gagesllc

gagesllc Junior Member

I was always told that i should plow in 1st gear even while driving a automatic but this year i was talking to some other guys and they thought i was crazy. so is it better to plow in 4 high in 1st gear or dosent it matter

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

4 high, drive, let 'er buck. Thumbs Up No reason to restrict it to 1st unless you plow really slow anyway... I usually put it in tow/haul to hold the gears a little longer and shift more solid though.

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

theres a few threads on this.... i too plow strictly in first.... if your going into second your gong wayy too fast

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

In a driveway, yeah. But if you're in the open and want to roll the snow good, you're gonna need another gear. Thumbs Up

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I plow in 4-High and in Drive. If the snow is realy heavy I will put it in 1st but, most of the time I'm in Drive.

6. gagesllc

gagesllc Junior Member

thanks guys i guess its a matter of opinion but i no from just trying it different ways that in my old truck it really does not matter but in my new truck wiht the allison it seems to shift quicker

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Remember to turn off the traction control !!!!!! .... 4 wheel high + 1st gear for me

8. mercer_me

Good point, traction control and plowing do not mix.

9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

1st gear for me...with the 4l80E it is better for the weak band in the unit. For all trannies, most of the time you won't need to shift from first. You can get to 20-25 in 1st. Keeping the rpms up helps the alternator keep up with a higher electrical load. Also, at the end of the pass, as you let off the accelerator to slow down, the tranny will unnecessarily (because you are about to stop) shift into 2nd, and with then need to shift immediately back to first, before you shift into reverse. That is an extra shift per pass, which increases heat and decreases life of your tranny. If you hold it in manual 1-that shift doesn't happen.

10. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

the highest gear and foot to the floor, than throw her an reverse before you ever get stoped going forward. it will be fine. seem it done all the time.

11. mercer_me

The key is to make sure your foot doesn't come off the throtle when you shift into reverse, you don't want any play in drive train. As long as there is no play you will be fine and you won't do any damage to your drive train. The same thing aplies when you are doing role backs.

12. TPC Services

13. mercer_me

Somebody actualy told me that once. I just smiled and said, "ya that makes sence. :dizzy:

14. TPC Services

did you tell them that they where a tool!! Thumbs Up

15. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

i plow with a f-250 with a zf 5 speed and 4:88 gears, if i stayed in 1st the snow would melt before i got done plowing. i start in 2nd, and go to 3rd on longer stretches, slow down and drop to 1st if there is a curb.

16. Oliver710

Oliver710 Junior Member

What about plowing in 4-low?

17. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I usually plow in 4hi and Drive with the traction control off. If the snow is really heavy and wet I'll put it in first instead of drive. Anyone know roughly what I should see for trans temps on an 09 GMC without plow prep?