1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what gear

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by campi, Oct 22, 2003.

1. campi

campi Member

i have been reading, alot hear about plowing whith trans in low gear?? been plowing for many yrs!! i have 1980 chevy 1 ton th 400 trans, 411 rears, ihave trans cooler. I plow in 4 hi, and in drive dont go over 5 mph dont need too!! never had a ploblem pushing snow!! never hurt any thing just did trans service , fluid was fine. pan clean !!! any feed back????? Campi!!!!

2. PushIt

PushIt Junior Member

Plow in low. If you plow in high, you never tach at more than 1000 RPM. If you're plowing several driveways right next to each other, your battery will be drained and before you know it, you'll have your headlights off to save juice. By plowing in low, you tach at 2000 RMP which keeps your battery charged, keeps coolant flowing and keeps your transmission from working as hard.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Don't bother with Lo range (transfer case) unless you really need it.You will know when the truck is stuggling to push.With the 4.11's,you won't have that problem much.The trans should just be in drive.or "D".It will automatically start out in low gear and upshift as neccesary.Plowing in low gear may accidentally overrev and damage the engine.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We plow with Powerstroke Diesels. The owners manual says to use low range, however as stated above, the engine revs too high, especially in reverse. We usually plow in 4W High range. The truck I usually use has an aftermarket transmission temp gauge. I've seen the temp climb when plowing a large lot of heavy wet snow. Thats when I switch to 4W Lo for a while till the temps come down. If you have the factory tranny temp gauge it's not much help. It starts to move into the caution range when the fluid temp is over 220 degrees. Thats the temp where life of the fluid starts to decrease dramatically.

5. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

4WL

4WL is the only way to go. Sure it may cost a little more in fuel but mechanically it will lengthen the life of your charging system and especially your transmission (manual or Auto). Never replaced a clutch on chevy with 180000 miles or ford auto with 130,000 miles.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

It has been discussed a few times,and the general consensus is use 4HI.4LO is only needed for smaller trucks,big hills,or heavy deep snow.

Read the other threads here

Who uses low range ?

7. PushIt

PushIt Junior Member

I don't know if I'd call 2 to 2 a consensus but all of the plow manufacturers and all of the truck manufacturers recommend 4w low.

Try em' both out but keep an eye on your gages.

8. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

4W Lo is too low for our Ford PSD trucks. I have enough torque to push snow just by taking my foot off the brake in gear.

9. campi

campi Member

add to what gear

i also run dual 850 amp battries 140 amp alternater!! run all my lights heater cd player wipers cb and what ever it all works for me !!! Thanks Campi!!!!

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I use 4hi mostly. I use the 4hi for all "normal" sized snowstorms, or should I say "normal" or "average" amounts of accumalation. That blizzard we had last year, 4lo the whole time. That blizzard we had back in 1996 or so, 4lo the whole time then too. Like said above, a heavy snow or just a big snowfall, 4lo for me. The torque in 4lo is amazing. The 4hi doesnt even compare to 4lo, on my truck anyway. Mike

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  11. szorno

szorno Senior Member

We always use 4 Hi for normal plowing. the key is to got to Lo when you feel the tranny working too hard. Like heavy snow or uphill push. Listen to your truck. she will tell you when to drop down.
    ;)

12. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

4hi unless snow is deep or heavy

plus backing up is very slow

just put it in first

that will keep the rpm up

cardoctor