1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What gear when transporting?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Dec 1, 2005.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

What do you guys put your truck in when driving around with your plow on? I just put it in OD and put my truck in tow/haul mode. Anyone else do this or put it in a lower gear? I just thought it would be better with the weight of the plow and the ballast I have in my truck.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I turn the over drive off when transporting and I plow in first and high range unless it's some real heavy stuff then I might use low range for awhile.

3. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Yeah what he ^ said!

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The older trucks that do not have tow/haul are driven in drive(3) the newer ones driven with T/H on in overdrive,,,,whenever loaded or towing.

5. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

anytime i have more than 800 extra pounds in my truck i use 3 with t/h mode . i never use od when hauling or towing a substantial amount of weight .

6. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

This is interesting. I have never heard of using TOW/HAUL mode when transporting a plow. I use 3 all the time with the plow on. Unless its real heavy and uphill, then I might use 4 low but still in 3. Are there any objections to this?

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I drive normally- I always drive with OD off unless I'm on the highway- the Dodge CTD's tend to wear out the OD when used under 1800RPM because of shift points. No change in gear here and no tow/haul option either.

8. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Tow Haul Mode?

Granted I may be stuck in the eighties but that sounds like a video game.

I dont adjust my use of the trans while transporting other than to kick it out of OD if it needs some help. I travel a fair share of highway/two lane paved rural roads so I need to take advantage of the high gear whenever I can. Its a serious RPM drop and fuel issue.

Being cognizant of the trans and its subsequent use is a great thing but I say take advantage of the higher gear betwixt jobs when you can and let that thing mellow out and cool down because its taking a beating on site to be sure.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm not bashing here O.k. just using your post to help educate.
    If you use over drive, OD, Yes the rpm's are lower. but there to low you are bogging the engine, which creates more heat especially when pushing the plow through the air. In contrast the higher RPM'S will cool the engine and tranny faster as more fluid is passing through the coolers.

10. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Wait,..... isn't over drive a gear? if your in forth gear and turn the over drive off (pressing the T/H button) doesn't that put you in 3rd gear with out having to move the shifter?

11. go plow

go plow Senior Member

yes your right

12. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i thought the tow haul was almost acting like a shift kit . the gears wrap out longer and provide a better shift .

13. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

14. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

No, the T/H switch does not put you in 3rd gear. It reprograms the shift points and quickness. Your truck will still shift into overdrive, but at much higher speed. It will also down shift out of overdrive with very little accelerator input. According to GM there is no advantage to driving in third gear with any trans that has T/H.