1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what gear to use

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rangerdad, Feb 18, 2002.

1. rangerdad

rangerdad Junior Member

I have a 92 chevy 1500 v8 w/4wheel drive. I am new to plowing.What I want to know is what gear range do I use for plowing, 2 wheel drive, 4H , or 4L. Which is best for the trans and engine so that they don't over heat.

2. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

4 H will be what you use 95% of the time. If the snow is fluffy & the lot is flat ,I sometime plow in 2 H. Brent
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You do not say if the truck is Auto or Manual. I like low for driveways and such when using the Auto. In open areas you will want to use 4 high. I run Fords so not sure how the Chevy manual is but on a Ford 1st gear is a pulling gear that seems to work fine for plowing in 4high. On my Toyota though I often use low with the manual in driveways cause the 1st gear is a higher ratio.

If you have an auto I would recommend a cooler and temp guage. If the temp goes up stop and let the truck idle till the temp drops.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The first thing you need is snow:( .

For an auto transmission, 4H most of the time. 2H for open, large lots with light snow. I've never yet used 4L and I've plowed some pretty steep drives. I've got one that's so steep, I don't even try to plow uphill. I get a good run, go to the top with the plow raised so I can turn around and plow (every 2-3") down hill.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

No one mentioned it yet, so for heavy wet snow, or conditions where you are putting a lot of load on the truck, use low range. This will take the load off your transmission and let the transfer case do the work. If your motor revs a lot higher and your not moving much, it's time for low range, excessive heat will destroy your tranny.
  6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think that every one is right 4 high for normal snow conditions 4 low for really muddie or wet,deep snow or if really light and fluffy or 1" use 2 high.
  7. PAPS Landscape

PAPS Landscape Member

I use 4H all the time in all my trucks... and have only used 4L once since 1997 and that was to pull a stuck Bobcat out of a ditch. 4L on a 7.3 Powerstroke has some serious balls.