1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What gear plowing up a grade ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danno, Feb 10, 2006.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

What do you guys use pushing snow up say, a 15 - 20 degree driveway for about 75 -100 ft ?

4WD HIGH
    4WD LOW
    AUTO TRANS. 1,2, 0R 3

The driveway I do is real wide in the begining, than funnels to about 10 ft, with rock on both sides.

I can`t really push fast, because I don`t want to wack the plow on the rocks.
  2. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

4-HI should do it... just get a little speed before you drop the plow
  3. danno

danno Senior Member

The thing is, starting out, I`m at the beginning of the incline already.
  4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

danno, when i started i had a 1500 also, i found that if i was to push on a incline or a long push, i would put the truck in 4-low, its not about the speed all the time, some times speed f's you up, tires break loose and so on... put it in 4 low go easy and you will be fine..... also with a lite truck, try to make one pass with the blade off the ground, say on a 6 inch storm, lift the blade 3'' then make one more pass with the blade all the way down, this will releave drag and some stress on the plow and truck and make it easy.... hope this helps .....
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Use this rule of thumb "When in doubt use 4LO" Besides 4lo is easier on a transmission when pushing a load.
  6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

"4LO is the way to go"
  7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Couldn't you just back up the driveway and push the snow across the street?
  8. go plow

go plow Senior Member

im not sure if its legal for a quad to plow across a roadway, but its not for a plow truck,,,, big fine in ct....
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If it was not illegal/unsafe you could to that.
  10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

This can work in many cases but I would caution against doing it with much over 6" on the ground.

I got myself stuck doing that on about 20" of snow one time. It seemed like a good idea but ended up being the only time I could not get myself unstuck. I was not watching the plow close enough to see it slowly riding up on the snow and creating a nice wedge under the truck mount and A Frame:cry: It seems tempting to do, its faster then taking small bites and working in.
  11. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I DRIVE on the street for goodness sake. My Uncle is the CHEIF of Police in my town, plus I can't think of the last time I saw a cop cruising around giving tickets during a SNOWSTORM!!!