1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What gear is YOUR trans in when plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pcupo12, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Pcupo12

Pcupo12 Junior Member

I have a 99 Ford F250 diesel. I usually just use 4 LO and put the truck in D. This i the trucks 3rd trans. Do most of you put it in 4LO and use 1 or 2? Sometimes I wont even use 4LO. I will use 4HI and D. What are you using?

2. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

I use 4H or 2H, if I can get away with it.
    And usually use 1st gear only, sometimes use the push button gear select to go into second on my Duramax.

3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I never use 4LO. I have it in 4HI 2nd or 3rd gear

4. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

D and 4HI. thats it.

5. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

Holy smokes..3rd trans?

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4hi and go. you must creep like an old lady with a walker.

7. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

You should never use 4Low for plowing--4 hi or 2 hi and leave it in drive. The direct clutch in your 4r100 trans was never meant to be abused like that, where the low reverse clutch is designed specifically for that type of use. Using 4low to plow is why you are killing your trans repeatedly. Also make sure you have a beefy trans cooler--heat is what kills a trans every time.

8. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

4H but will run 2 if conditions allow.

Place the allison in D and let it choose what gear to use.

9. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

You killed your truck by using low all the time... :dizzy: :gunsfiring:

10. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Your wrecking them by using 4 LO, we have 2 of these trucks a 99 and a 2000 both have never had transmission work done to them yet. Always plowed in 4 high or 2wd if it's not bad out

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Hope it isn't a Furd, as some idiot designed these trucks to start in the gear they are in, other than D. So if you have it in 2nd or 3rd, that's the gear you're taking off in, which will smoke the tranny.

Never say never.

18" of cement and "never" use 4 lo?

I use 4 HI and first gear. Always have. Learned from my father who always has, since '62.

12. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

Haven't you asked your mechanic what was wrong with the transmissions after he or she replaced them?

13. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

No never(there, I said it) have I plowed in 4LO. 4HI and selecting 2nd or 3rd is for when I'm in vehicles that do not have an Overdrive Off feature. Other wise its 4HI and overdrive off, put it in D and go as others have said. First gear, really? Seems to me that is overkill unless you have only a 30' push.

14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Not a 30' push, but I do have a 16' pull. Thumbs Up

15. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

2 HI Drive with SCT tow tune , loaded , until I start losing traction or hilly terrain

4 HI Drive with SCT tow tune , loaded

16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

1st and reverse are the only 2 I use...

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Trucks never seen 4 low and never will. 4 high and drive, the tranny will shift itself.

18. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I think whats more important for you to worry about is coming to stop before engaging reverse..
    I've plowed in overdrive for 4 years 4H .. Never had any transmissions go bad..

19. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

4 hi and 2 hi if I have some salt in spreader. Always use D. Always plowed with diesels though and a 8.1L Chevy many years ago. Plenty of power, no gear searching. Only use 4 low if I'm backing a loaded dump trailer into a steep driveway in summer or pulling a stump or things like that.

20. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Pulled over my uncles old feed barn in 4L 2nd gear I was in a plowed feild!