1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What gear do you plow in?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Jul 24, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

How do you run your truck when plowing?
    I had a 1995 dodge last year and i ran 4-high in 1st gear.
    But now I got a real truck (02 Chevy 2500 HD)... what would you recommend? I hear so many different things and have no idea what is best.
    Some say 4-lo in 1st others 4-high.
    What about using the tow/haul mode?
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

four high. four low is for when your deep in mud. i dont see why your truck wouldnt have the power for four high. if you look in you owners manual tow haul is for when your towing half the vehicle weight or so to prevent the truck from shifting gears prematurley, especially going up a big hill. i dont see why tow haul would be good for plowing snow. no hills, not fast enough to do a lot of shifting. and your not towing seven thousand pounds. are you? just my opinion
  3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

4hi is what I use. Use 4lo for heavy stuff when you're pushing 8" of slush and need the torque.

I run mine in Tow/Haul mode though...I have heard that T/H mode will also increase the line pressure in the tranny which should help dissipate heat more efficiently and help preserve the tranny.

It may be bunk...most likely even if its true it wasn't until the 2001 model year (mine is a 2000), but it sure doesn't hurt to use T/H ode while plowing.
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

4high in 'D' has always worked fine for me. I had to use 4low last year to break through an apron with 36" of solid crap on that valentines storm. When you start plowing youll know what you need to do.
  5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

4H for me and when its deep, 4L with tow/haul mode;)
  6. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

In my old 01 HD Gas I was in 4hi/3rd gear with tow haul on. Never had any problems with the tranny. Might be a little over kill but its better then droppin the coin for a rebuilt transmission.
  7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

it all depends on how deep the snow is and how big the lots are...
  8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

4hi, straight 2 when there is ground showing.

With the new style 6 speed it comes with tow/haul mode - dealer says that would be the best for plowing and keeping the trans cooler. Otherwise, I leave it in Drive.
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Over drive off or tow haul mode on.
    4hi ,1st gear most of the time, some large lots with light snow 2nd.

Using "D" and letting the tranny shift as you are pushing snow generates excessive heat in the transmission. tow haul mode on or not.
    premature tranny failure.

Using 4lo also results in higher rpms and the excessive tuque can be equally damaging to your drive line.
    Not to mention slow. Sometimes you may need to use 4lo, just take smaller bites then use 4hi and 1st. jmo..
  10. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I usually plow in 2WD, Unless there is deep snow or heavy wet snow. I usually have a thousand lbs or so in the back, so that helps alot. I keep my hubs locked in just in case I need to use 4WD, but for the most part 2 works fine for me.

11. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've plowed for 10 years in the drive mode with the older style trans ( 1997 ) - power flush the system every year, zero trans problem. On the new style you have D or Manual mode in the selector. I'm not about to start button shifting a manual mode. It does have a built in trans temp guage - we'll see this winter what she does.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: Hey, scott, Sounds good.
    let us know the millage.( Plowing)
    Water content of the snow( so resistance can be established)
    And acreage.
    averge weight carried while plowing.
    Next, keep it for 7 to 10 years or more..wesport

Just to add to the xysport puddel
    My 74 has the original tranny.
    The only mod was a RV shift kit at 65K.
    She has well over 150k on her.

PS. it's your truck drive it in any gear that makes you happy!
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007