1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What fouls o2 sensors?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by V_Scapes, Mar 28, 2011.

1. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I bought my 2007 mason dump last october with 11,700 miles on it. i had the owner of the truck find out why the check engine light was on before I bought it. the dealer replaced the o2 sensor and everything was fine.

2 weeks ago (14,700 miles) my check engine light comes on again so i bring it to my mechanic. he replaces the o2 sensor again. i havent had a chance to talk to him about it but i was wondering what makes these stupid things go bad. i feel like i shouldnt have had to replace the stupid thing at all yet. could it be from excessive idling?
    Thanks for the input.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yes, excessive idling could- o2,s go bad from age/use and contamination. Certain additives to fuel would have chemicals that would contaminate them, now more or less it seems to be rich running condition or oil consumption.
    You only have 1 O2 sensor? Might want to look into that a bit more- you should have 2 of them or more - my wife's 01 Intrepid has 4- 1 ea pre and post Cat on each bank (V6 - with 2 cats before the pipes join for the muffler). system determines the efficiency of the cat as well as the engine that way.

3. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Ok I didnt realize there are more than 1. I guess one of the other sensors went bad. thanks.

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

yea it should have more than one, probably just the other one. depends on the code but some of them just read low voltage and youll get a check engine light.