1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what fluid to use

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by TazLandscapes, Sep 28, 2010.

1. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

i was goin to flush the pump before winter hit.And i went ot three dealers so far and none of them have the meyers hydraflush.but one of my dealers had isopropyl alcohol in 1 quart jugs and said that i could use that to flush the system out i just wanted to know if this stuff would be safe for the system..

Thanks Mike
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

hey buddy

I always flush with kerosene an fill with atf tranny fluid, been working great for years
  3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Who would know better than the company that makes the plows. They want you to use the stuff that makes their plows really shine.

I can understand changing from Kerosene to Mineral Spirts because Meyer never actually recommended using Kerosene from what I read. But they did say in their previous manual (which has changed), that if you do use it to flush and clean the system, that you should use a Napthenic based cleaner or their Hydra Flush that is wax free to get rid of any Kerosene left in the system and then put in the recommended plow oil.

Now the New Manual is actually saying to use Mineral Spirts or Hyraulic oil to flush and then put in the recommended plow oil. They didn't even mention their Hydra flush which is sort of cutting their own throat being that they sell it. So I would assume that getting out all the Mineral Sprits is not necessary like getting all the Kerosene out is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

NOTE I just check the new manual again and it's been changed. They now recommend using their Hyra Flush or Napatha and to use the Mineral Spirts for cleaning the filters. I guess their throat was bleeding too bad. Just remember--All decisions are made because of Money.

If you read all the back posts or use the Search tab, the guys will swear by this and that to clean their systems as well as which oil to use. I suppose that you can and get away with just about anything for a while, but some day, it may come back to bite you. Logic tells me that if my regular plow fluid, which is Hyraulic oil, would clean it so good like Meyers is saying, then dump it out and replace it, you won't need to flush it.
    Of course I have noticed a lot of junk come out with the Naptha flush that didn't come out with the plow fluid. So much for using plow fluid as a flushing agent.

4. redvetracr

redvetracr Junior Member
    from WI

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

You can order it online, one supplier is Smith Brothers out on the East Coast.

Good Luck Mike
  6. broncscott

broncscott Member

If you go to the trouble of flushing the pump you may as well pull the reservoir apart and get the trash out of the bottom that flushing won't get out. While your at it replace the oring at the bottom and top of the cylinder, piston packing and the wiper on top. All of this is easy work and might prevent breakdowns this season.Thanks, Scott
  7. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

Has any tried using an synthetic ISO 15 hydraulic fluid like what AMSOIL makes? I figure that it has to be close enough to work. Everyone that I talk to seems to just say "only use the manufacturer's fluid" yet it seems like any cold-flowing hydraulic fluid should work....Thoughts??
  8. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Amsoil sounds more expensive than plow fluids, but I would agree any "cold-flowing" hydraulic fluid or aircraft hydraulic fluid should work great. I finally switched from ATF to Fisher fluid in my E47 last year and I couldn't believe the difference, I was sold instantly, and that was from fresh ATF, not 10 year old water logged junk. I finally made the switch after doing some research and looking at the low temp viscosity specs. I use Fisher because it's what's available locally. I also don't flush. My old E47 is apart once every couple of years to clean the filters and (hopefully previously) any ATF slush mix so I just give everything a good cleaning then with brake parts cleaner which evaorates before it goes back together.

Edit: I should have clarified that the difference I saw between ATF was 1) little to no "warm up time" and 2) speed. I was contemplating upgrading to E57 pump and motor to make it quicker, my E47 is plenty fast now (I just do my own driveway and the neighbors).
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  9. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

I guess the reason for using the expensive AMSOIL fluid is that it has a high temp, and low temp functioning properties, (it isn't much more expensive), I use synthetic fluids in everything else, yet in the plow I use the locally available plow fluid- synthetics have a great track record of performance, but I guess in a plow that you have to flush each year it doesn't really pay that much. I just wish someone had lots of cold weather hydraulic fluid that they wanted to get rid of...
  10. acornish

acornish Senior Member

Ive always used the plow fluid from northern its blue in color- and take my pumps to the bench every year drain , clean and reseal just for preventive maint. First truck I had had the ATF in it and boy was it slow was told flush it out and put the reg plow fluid in it boy what a difference.
  11. MosesR

MosesR Junior Member

Can you use regular hydraulic fluid?

Can you use regular hydraulic fluid? E60
  12. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I use the Sam blue plow fluid and have never had a problem, works great in cold weather and cost about $6.00
    A bottle,

SHARPMACHINE Junior Member

Kinda weird that you need to rinse to get the kerosene out. I'll have to remember to just use mineral spirits and brake cleaner. Is there a good write up of how to do this job on here?
  14. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

didnt bother to clean the pump out this year because im gonna have it rebuilt this summer,i use the sam fluid i think it works better then the meyer fluid and its hell of a lot cheaper then the meyer fluid. I also broke the oil fill plug off on my pump the other day and the hollow screw part is still screwed inside the pump how do i go about getting it off. i thought about a screw extractor set, i have a loose fitting bolt and washer covering the fluid for right now.