1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what fluid to put in your plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FurFishGame, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

I've always been told if ya run low put a little ATF in there, is that normal or what are you supposed to use?

2. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

I have a (I think) 5 year old plow set up, fisher plow.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why not pick up 5 or 6 qts and keep it in the truck?

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

are we talking about a snow plow here

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say a case, but you would give the same reply

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Grandview is right. Stop at your dealer and buy a gallon. I guess in a pinch atf might be ok but I wouldn't put it in my plow but that's just me.

7. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

You put ATF in your AT , put plow juice in your plow . Pretty simple.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

ATF is for plows at least 10 years old. Now they have their own plow fluid. A gallon is a good idea but hard to pour, make sure you have a funnel or pour some into a smaller container.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Why carry a gallon, most hydraulic plow pumps take about 2 quarts completely fill the system. I carry 2quarts and use screw on pour spouts so not to spill instead of using a funnel.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nono: Any plow with electric/hydraulic valves should run true snowplow hydraulic fluid (multi vis 15 HVI-FM or equivalent) you will have better performance at lower amp draws at all temps. The Old Cable operated Hydraulic had HUGE gates compared to the Elec/Hyd, it didn't matter that ATF is MUCH more viscous than Premium Snowplow fluid at any temp.

Carry the same fluid that is in the pump. dissimilar fluids can create MAJOR problems. I've seen it come out as the same consistency as a really nasty jello.

If you are having to replace fluid at a regular basis I'd find and fix the leak rather than refill continuously even if it appears while plowing. IMO trying to nurse it though the night will just lead to catastrophic failure and even worse issues.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Really. What kinda plow you running that only takes 2 qts

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway, Meyer, Western, Fisher, Arctic, Curtis (Sno-Pro,) Blizzard, Boss, Northman, probably a few others will operate of of two quarts. They may require 2.25 or 2.375 qts to be perfect but two quarts of the right fluid will get you home or if it's a field repair keep you going.

Takes a pretty poor operator to not notice a leak until the system's bone dry. Even if they don't notice until it won't function properly rarely do we see them totally drained.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm currently running Meyer Plows with E-60 Pumps with 1.5"X10" Angle Cylinders on the "A" Frame. Below is a screen shot start from Meyer's online manuel. It's not a typo, every year when I drain/clean and flush the system I put about 2quarts in to fill it.
    I can't personally speak for the other brands.

As Basher said it’s pretty hard to completely drain a system, most of the time a hose or fitting goes which is obvious and an operator should notice the problem. If they don’t they’re not who you want running your equipment.

I may be odd but I periodically get out of the truck and do a quick walk around inspection to check things out: look for leaks, tires inflated, plow still attached etc……especially when I may have hit something hard, like a curb.

meyer oil cap.jpg

14. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

sorry i didn't make my self clear.... I ment, is there a actual plow fluid, or what do you run? Idid some research and found there are a few different types of plow fluid. thanks

15. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

I used to use ATF in the old fishers with the belts connected to the motor and the resovoir under the hood. Mid-early1990's models. I got out of plowing for a couple of years. Figured nothing had changed when I got a newer model after that a Sno Way. Noticed the fluid was low threw some ATF in the results were not good now my plow was dead in the water, had to bring it to the dealer they bled and refilled the system.

16. dieselss

if we are talking "get you home" sure 2 qts will prob do it. I thought we were talking filling it up to operating range. western wideouts take more, ph1 blizzards take more. not starting a match here just misunderstood.
    As far as operators not noticing, well I can tell you stories of things operators haven't noticed, leaking fluid out of a plow is one of them.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

yeah I understand and stand by my comment " takes a pretty poor operator":waving:

18. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I put a hand pump my western jugs easier then a funnel less mess

19. dieselss

Lol. Maybe you guys get better operators then we do. In the infamous words. Can't fix stupid

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No I don't think they're better and when they try to fix it themselves:dizzy:

Trouble with stupid is it doesn't want to learn:realmad:

It's a shame because as Dean Wormer said "lazy, drunk and stupid isn't any way to live your life"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.