1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What fits?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CTPATRIOT, Mar 4, 2012.

1. CTPATRIOT

CTPATRIOT Junior Member
    from CT

New to the forum,just picked up a pretty clean low mile 1988 Chevy R30 one ton dump.It's rear drive only,and has the older "73-87 style cab.I want to paint the truck and install a plow this year on it.Will a plow setup from a "73-"87 four wheel drive fit?(easy to find!)Any help or advice would be great,thanks.

2012-03-04 15.42.00.jpg

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think so.A SFA frame is most likely a different configuration than a C30 or an R30 with an IFS frame.Maybe B&B would know for sure.

3. CTPATRIOT

CTPATRIOT Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks,also what size blades should i be looking for???

4. tuney443

I had a 9'2'' Boss V on my 88 V30.I think you should stop about there--so say 9'.That old suspension is probably pretty worn out so some added beef will most likely be needed.

5. CTPATRIOT

CTPATRIOT Junior Member
    from CT

The truck has 67K original miles,front and rear springs are like new!It was owned by a homeowner who used it for fall cleanups and traprock ect..to make a few extra bucks on the weekends.So would 8ft be ok also?I see many of them around too.I "may" sell this truck to put money into a bigger one i have,but this little one ton hasn't seen any hard use.Just want to know what my options are with it.

6. tuney443

If you mean the 8'er regarding weight,yeah of course,it's lighter than a 9'er, but if you have parking lots you want as wide a blade as the truck can safely carry.Saw your truck on the other site by the way.

7. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

I believe the front part of the mount will fit, depending on what brand/style you are using. The front frame horns should be the same on 2wd and 4wd. I think where you will run into trouble is the braces that run back from the front part of the mount (what the plow pins to) to the frame.

muactf.jpg

On a 4wd, this brace attaches to the side of the frame right in front of the bump stop bracket (on a Western at least). On a 2 wheeler, I think you will have interference issues with the A-arms. That doesnt mean it cant be done, just means you would have to do a little custom fab work. If you have access to a welder or a friend with one, then it would be very doable i think. Hope this helps.

muactf.jpg

8. Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave Member

On the older western mounts the thrust arm is differant between the 4X4 and 2X4. any welder should be able to do the mod without much work . You can go to the western plow website and get the manuals and parts lists.Having converted an old body style from 2 to 4 wheel drive in the past the frames are the same. Most of the holes are even already in the frame