1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What extra parts should I have for Western Plow?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by D&FServices, Sep 24, 2011.

1. D&FServices

D&FServices Junior Member

This is my first season of plowing on my own and I'm making a list of all the extra parts I may need to order now since I'm almost 100 miles from the nearest dealer. I'm running a Western Unimount plow. What extra parts do you all keep on hand? The last thing I want to do is have something break and have to wait until the next morning to go 100 miles to get a part. .Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would buy 5 of everything.Springs extra fluid enough to do a complete oil change on it extra hoses.Solenoids. Pickup a extra cutting edge to.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I would agree with everything Grandview said except perhaps the numbers. Five of everything seems a bit much. 100 miles is an overnight order so in my opinion one relay, one of each length of hose and for sure enough fluid to do a couple fluid changes. Springs I am not sure about, I have not yet changed springs on any of my customers plows and I understand they tend to stretch more than break, perhaps keep one on hand but not a whole set. The cutting edge would be good to have on hand. Perhaps, if you have the money to spare and want to keep the plow for a long time you should keep a motor and handheld controller nearby as well. Needless to say some replacement mounting pins are nice to have but you can generally get by with bolts for the big pins and cotter pins, or even nails, will do in a pinch for the small ones.

For the new ultra-mounts I know Western sells emergency kits that include a lot of the small parts listed above but also have replacement hydraulic valves. The question I ask people about that first is if they have the skill to troubleshoot the hydraulics and change a valve. If you are not mechanically intimate with the hardware then don't bother with the valves.